Winter fishing on a westside lake 12/8/2022

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
20221208_144534.jpg

Quite a bit of snow still on the ground around this general regulation lake, as well as some ice on the lake in one of the back bays:

20221208_162623.jpg

The air temperature was cold in the low 40's, but felt colder due to the rain and sleet. The water temperature was a cold 42 degrees, down considerably from a month ago. I'm actually surprised the water temperature wasn't lower since there was some ice on the lake. Fair weather fishermen need not apply. :)

Fish Size Distribution 2022-12-08.jpg

As you can see from the chart above, the fish were mostly in the same size range, except for one monster that put up a great fight with a half dozen jumps and great runs before breaking off right at the boat. Since I've hooked a number of these monsters and retained some in the past, I had a pretty good idea of the length and weight of this fish (probably in the 4.5 pound range, but you know how we fishermen exaggerate). That one monster made my day, even if I didn't net it! All the fish took a small baitfish pattern (casting and stripping).

Here's a photo of the typical fish from this lake, very heavily spotted as usual:

IMGP5808.JPG

Only 2 other gear fishermen fishing Power Bait from shore. One guy landed 3 fish, one of which was a 3.25 pounder (measured on my handheld scale). Otherwise, no one else on the lake besides me.

My fingers and toes were numb by the end of the day, but I shouldn't complain as over in central WA the air temperatures are down into the teens.

Rex

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Rex I can tell that chart was designed by a true fisherman. The unit count in half increments, brilliant on the visual, everything appears double to the eye. Then the whole increment lengths, no doubt everything rounds up. And of course my favorite is the 22," it's as if I wrote that myself!

You're almost as bad as I am! Definitely more refined ;)

All joking aside, thanks for sharing another great report...I'm envious as usual 👍

Starman77

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Rex, are you out in your float tube in those conditions? Or using a boat? I don't even want to sit all bundled up in my boat in this weather, and the float tube is unthinkable to me!
I was out on my pontoon boat, as I agree that a float tube would be pretty tough on this old man in 42 degree water temperatures. I have done it in a float tube in my younger days when there is partial ice on the lake, so it can be done. Years ago I was even trying to break ice with my anchor ball at Beda Lake trying to get down the channel, but I only got about 25 yards before the ice became too thick to break. Even on my pontoon boat, my toes became frozen sitting in the water in my fins. I saw that Costco is selling some electric socks for $70, but the reviews are not very good so I haven't tried them, but while I was out there freezing my toes off I sure was thinking that maybe I should give those socks a try. But as I say to my fishing friends, "Are we men, or are we wussies?" And they always yell back in unison, "We're wussies!" :LOL:

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I've tried foot warmers, but they don't seem to work well for me. I think it is because they don't get enough oxygen in the waders due to the water compressing most of the air out of the waders. The chemical reaction requires fresh air to work.
Same here Rex.

Ronbow

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have used them goose hunting and work well. You are likely right about the O2 thing. For cold year fishing I just use the Backwater pram and have calf high boots with a half inch of felt.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I've tried foot warmers, but they don't seem to work well for me. I think it is because they don't get enough oxygen in the waders due to the water compressing most of the air out of the waders. The chemical reaction requires fresh air to work.
Ditto for me, I love the foot warmers for walking & wading but not when in the tube...they're just not getting enough air.

I was out on my pontoon boat, as I agree that a float tube would be pretty tough on this old man in 42 degree water temperatures. I have done it in a float tube in my younger days when there is partial ice on the lake, so it can be done. Years ago I was even trying to break ice with my anchor ball at Beda Lake trying to get down the channel, but I only got about 25 yards before the ice became too thick to break. Even on my pontoon boat, my toes became frozen sitting in the water in my fins. I saw that Costco is selling some electric socks for $70, but the reviews are not very good so I haven't tried them, but while I was out there freezing my toes off I sure was thinking that maybe I should give those socks a try. But as I say to my fishing friends, "Are we men, or are we wussies?" And they always yell back in unison, "We're wussies!" :LOL:
I 'wussed' out and picked up a pair of electric socks a couple years ago. I use 'em whenever I'm winter fishing in the WM.

Don't know what Costco has to offer but I have a set of Mobile Warming Standard Heated Socks.

These have three settings and the heat element is under the ball of foot/toes, only. They're not toasty warm but I've found the highest setting will mostly keep the cold at bay without causing foot sweat.

The rechargeable batteries only last 3-4 hours at high so I purchased a second set of batteries and swap them out.

Changing batteries was kind of a challenge since they're kept in a pocket at the top of the knee high sock. I dang near had to undress in order to access the battery pocket.

When searching for components to build an 'extension cord', I found a premade 3' extension at DigiKey Electronics. Now I can keep the batteries in the waist pockets of my sweat pants for a much easier battery swap and I don't need to stand on my head to do so.

So I say, embrace your wussiness and go for the battery powered socks. 👍

Last edited:

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
For $100 to 150 on sale you could get some boot foot waders most likely meant for duck hunting that would keep the feet warm. They don't allow the compression in the water like stocking foot and have insulation. So the foot warmers would work.
Nice report!

FishyJere

Nee Jerry Metcalf
Forum Supporter
Good bootfoot waders, ones with the thick insulated boots. Even then the cold soaks through.