Where to fish for Sea run Cutthroat

gwb72tii

Just Hatched
I'm not asking anyone to give up their favorite spots, or name the beaches etc. I just bought a boat and will now be able to drift fish for cutts.
What type of beach do you look for when targeting cutts? I am a complete newbie.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
You live in a great area for searun fishing, basically Searun central.
Points of land, cobble beaches with lots of barnacles and oysters, near creek mouths, over eel grass beds just to name a few likely areas. Fish water with tidal current would be preferable. Look for jumping and dimpling fish.
SF

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Search Google for the papers below. They should be helpful.
  • Movement Patterns of Coastal Cutthroat Trout (Oncorhynchus clarki clarki) in South Puget Sound, Washington 2006-2007.
  • Coastal Cutthroat Trout (Oncorhynchus clarki clarki) Diet In South Puget Sound, Washington 1999 – 2002.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
You live in a great area for searun fishing, basically Searun central.
Points of land, cobble beaches with lots of barnacles and oysters, near creek mouths, over eel grass beds just to name a few likely areas. Fish water with tidal current would be preferable. Look for jumping and dimpling fish.
SF
^ This.

I also usually look for moving water, fish the main current on the up tide side, love choppy water, and try to avoid brown/cloudy water.

Crazy Charlies with a natural or green butt are a good fly for me this time of year in #8-14.

Fan casting is your friend. Move down current ~1/2 the distance of your cast, and repeat.

Last edited:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
A couple of other options you might consider.
1. Obviously you new boat you’d like to use, but consider booking a day with one of the local guides that target searun cutts. Doing so can shorten your learning curve.
2. If your boat is big enough for two anglers, consider offering open seats. A lot of seasoned beach anglers would take you up on your generous offer and likely show you good spots to fish from your boat.
Likewise, keep your eye out for threads when other folks offer seats in their boats which can help you learn the fishery.
SF

rotato

Steelhead
A couple of other options you might consider.
1. Obviously you new boat you’d like to use, but consider booking a day with one of the local guides that target searun cutts. Doing so can shorten your learning curve.
2. If your boat is big enough for two anglers, consider offering open seats. A lot of seasoned beach anglers would take you up on your generous offer and likely show you good spots to fish from your boat.
Likewise, keep your eye out for threads when other folks offer seats in their boats which can help you learn the fishery.
SF
Just don’t tell the guide you have a boat :)