What are your go-to tuna dishes?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I know a lot of folks can most of theirs, but that's never really been my preference. Interested to see what folks like to do with theirs!

Here are a few of mine.

Of course, sushi night. Simple nigiri pieces, both raw and seared with the torch, spicy rolls (especially with Aka Miso hot sauce), and plenty more.
1663464067560.png1663464116507.png1663464156017.png

Beer battered fish n chips is way up on the list, too. Especially with jojo fries.
1663464299947.png

Fish tacos are another big favorite... No pics of that yet, though.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I happen to be eating tuna poke on jasmine rice with some roasted broccoli right now.
This time I used a whole jalapeño and most of the seeds and pith, a bit of super finely diced red bell pepper, and a teaspoon of Chinese black vinegar in addition to the usual other ingredients. It’s fantastic.0029A8D7-8779-4737-95E6-7AA4F2285EB5.jpeg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I happen to be eating tuna poke on jasmine rice with some roasted broccoli right now.
This time I used a whole jalapeño and most of the seeds and pith, a bit of super finely diced red bell pepper, and a teaspoon of Chinese black vinegar in addition to the usual other ingredients. It’s fantastic.View attachment 32699
No idea how I forgot poke bowls. We do soooooo many. Yours looks divine!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
No idea how I forgot poke bowls. We do soooooo many. Yours looks divine!
It’s so simple and so good. No Sriracha needed or wanted in this one, as it came out pretty spicy from jalapeño as desired. But not too spicy. I polished it right off with a Georgetown Bodhi beer.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
I love albacore sushi too. But I'm also a fan of medallions of loin seared on a hot cast iron frying pan until the outer surface is browned and the core is still pink. Served alongside fried Asian greens, like boy chow or spinach.
Steve

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I’ve never tried batter fried tuna. Pretty good, eh?

One more involved preparation my wife likes a lot is like this (I guess we like tuna + fresh jalapeño):

Marinate loin(s) in soy sauce, sesame oil, canola oil, 2 cloves garlic, three scallions, some nubs of fresh ginger, 3/4 big jalapeno (seeded but some pith left in), fistful of cilantro, ~tbsp brown sugar. Blend/food process and put it over the tuna for a couple hours, but Reserve a little bit of marinade for sauce and then slice the remaining jalapeño for serving. Sear the loins or pieces on all sides on the flat griddle on the grill outside. Slice thin to serve.
On the night shown below it was served with fish sauce-roasted green beans and black rice cooked in light coconut milk.

4E3FE786-D334-48C2-8A80-2133047FAB36.jpeg

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I’m with Steve for the seared tuna.

How are you guys doing your poke? I love it, but thought albacore would be a little too mild for that.

Other question: does freezing have any impact on these recipes?

RCF

Life of the Party
I love albacore sushi too. But I'm also a fan of medallions of loin seared on a hot cast iron frying pan until the outer surface is browned and the core is still pink. Served alongside fried Asian greens, like boy chow or spinach.
Steve
Up front I will say I am not a huge fan of tuna...

I completely agree with @Cabezon - seared on the outside (lightly ---> just enough) and pink in the center. I was in Albuquerque, yes Albuquerque, and had it this way. Best fish I ever have had. The restaurant flew in fresh fish daily. Tried it the first night there and had it the next four nights. Better than ribeye, dare I say it, YES! I might also suggest wild rice, bok choy 2nd, and spinach as way down the list of side dishes

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I’ve never tried batter fried tuna. Pretty good, eh?

How are you guys doing your poke? I love it, but thought albacore would be a little too mild for that.

Other question: does freezing have any impact on these recipes?
Poke, I seem to do something different every time. Albacore is perfect for it. It's fatty and delicious, so hard to go wrong with it.

Why would freezing have an impact? If you care for your fish properly from the time it hits the deck, then get it properly sealed and frozen when you get home, it comes out of the package as good as fresh. Mine stays excellent up to a year (never had any last longer than that as we tend to go through all of it before the next season starts).

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter

Works out great for me. I think in Hawaii it’s tombo ahi poke and it is a real thing. Of course when they catch them they are 4 times the size of ours. Like Evan, I switch it up but commonly use soy sauce, flake salt, sesame oil (always), nori komi furikake, sesame seeds, onion of all kinds and colors, fresh jalapeño, mirin and Sriracha. The teeny splash of black vinegar I tried was good to add a little tangy acid.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Thanks guys. As to freezing, I guess I had heard that albacore doesn’t freeze well. Sounds like I heard wrong.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Quality treatment in effort of getting from ocean to freezer makes all the difference.
Exactly. Freezing is totally fine. It's what happens up to that point that matters far more. Most those commercial boats aren't bleeding their fish out then getting them chilled within minutes like we can do on sport boats. Then it's a long time until they get carked out. Before I was running my own tuna trips, I bought a few whole albacore out in Astoria, and the meat quality was quite poor. This is why albacore is most only seen at market in cans.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I vac pack and it’s great for long term. Don’t ever rinse in fresh water, get the air out. I cut into steaks and it’s tasty!
Another huge one. I see so many people rinsing their fish with tapwater before freezing. Terrible thing to do! You're basically marinating your fish in that water and whatever chlorine or anything else that's in it. Rinsing is completely unnecessary. Wipe it off with a paper towel and Bob's yer uncle.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Another huge one. I see so many people rinsing their fish with tapwater before freezing. Terrible thing to do! You're basically marinating your fish in that water and whatever chlorine or anything else that's in it. Rinsing is completely unnecessary. Wipe it off with a paper towel and Bob's yer uncle.

Yup. Much better to use paper towels, or even the back of a knife to wipe off any unsightly blood or residue. Fresh water is almost like acid to tuna loins. The relative higher salt content of the fish will cause it to absorb fresh water through osmosis - along with any chemicals in that water. Making it mushy, lose good flavor, and possibly gain nasty flavors depending on what's on tap.