WDFW Gill Net Policy

Skunk Ape

Smolt
Just fished Pass Lake and came across Fish and Wildlife getting ready to conduct a fish survey. Asked them if they going to shock them to get counts and they said they were going to use gill nets. Found that interesting as this lake is a fly fishing only zero kill. Came back the next day and they were putting about 25-30 fish in a trash bag and just being thrown away. Some nice Browns just under the 24 inch mark and mostly rainbows from 16-20 inches. Perch and Sunfish were also present but they were very small at 3-5 inches approximately. Seems rather counterproductive to go that route for a lake that has had its issues over the past few years but what do I know. So is it just WDFW’s policy to use gill nets or is it region based when conducting fish count surveys?

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Gill nets are a useful fish sampling tool when a few dead fish are seen as a small cost of acquire data. The facts that Pass is fly fishing only and no kill for recreational fishing are really not relevant in the realm of doing fish stock assessment work.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I’m glad the department is putting in the effort. Gill nets provide a quick and effective method of sampling. The nets that trap the fish in a live box, like those used for the recent study at Lenore would be nice but maybe not appropriate at Pass. Boat e-fishing has limitations as well.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I wish I could find 20" bows at Pass Lake.
SF

Throwing away good meat is reprehensible. They should at least respect it and gut/take to a food bank.
Contributing this fish to a food bank means that the fish must be processed at an FDA approved facility. Simply giving dead fish to a food bank opens both the giver and the food bank to legal problems if fish proves injurious to the end receiver. What looks simple doesn’t always work simply.