Water proof bacpack recommendations

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Might take a trip this fall that includes a 2 mile hike each way, and likely to be raining.. Doing some research on waterproof backpacks. Needs to be large enough for my waders and boots (don't want to hike in them), food, water, some extra clothes and fishing gear. I think 40L would be the smallest size? Anyone got experience with a pack they can recommend.

Last edited:

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thunderhead backpack.

Hang your gear (net, rods, boots, tippet, pliers/foreceps) off the outside. Roll up waders so the opening is on the inside of the roll, and strap them outside as well. None of that stuff will care if it gets wet.

Peak Design cubes are helpful for organization inside of it.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Sounds like you need a bigger pack than the fishpond. Can look at Hyperlite Mountain gear. It’s a backpacking pack but will do the job.

Bricaud

Smolt
For a simple roll top bag - i really like my grundens 30L RumRunner backpack. It would be just big enough for the gear you described.

1696860923204.png

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have a Simms roll top waterproof pack that holds everything you mentioned. It's probably around 40 liters size. However, that is the last waterproof pack I will ever buy. I've learned from the backpacking community that packs leak. They just do. Eventually, if not today. When backpacking, I put a trash compactor bag inside my backpack. Everything that must remain dry goes in the heavy duty plastic bag. Twist the top and roll it over, and things that can get wet are placed on top of it. Cheap and it really works well. It has to, or hundreds of hikers hiking the 2600 mile PCT wouldn't be using this method.