Was I ahead of my time?

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Friend in high school had a Morris Minor sedan that he put a built 1275 cc in, quick little rascal.
My camping rig was a ‘53 Ford 3/4 ton with a home built plywood camper, about 24” taller than cab, shelves, lights and padded floor with I/O carpet. Took that all over Oregon on USFS and BLM roads, 2WD but with aggressive pizza cutter tires and low gearing it handled those roads very well.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In the late 70's I did a bit of traveling. I had graduated from college and worked in retail management. Then went to another job where I got laid off. I interviewed at the Lazy B and was to start working in 3 months. While collecting unemployment I got in my Datsun 2000 and headed East. Only took what would fit in the trunk and on rear luggage rack. Spent 2 months on the backroads of America. Amazing the great people one meets when you take time and smell the hay fields.
I wanted a 2000 so bad, they just ran away from the competition and dead nuts reliable as well. I had a 1966 1600 but those 2000 were special. When I first retired in 2012 I went looking for one, nice, no need ones were going for $15-20K at the time, $25-40+ now. I found a Miata that better fit my needs with more power and modern safety equipment as well. Still like them.

Reactions: RCF

cchinook45

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Guy, as the owner of 2 Morris Minors, 2 Hillman Minx's and an Austin Healey 3000 I have had my share of Lucas electrics. Visiting a friend on a foggy night in Playa del Rey his MG was misfiring in the dampness. We opening the hood and witnessed a light show with dozens of microscopic lightning strikes bathing the interior in blue light. How the hell did the Brits develop something as good as the Supermarine Spitfire?
Good question ! The heaters do not work very well also. In a cold wet country. That Healy 3000 MK 3 was pretty fast.