Warden Lake Drownings

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Very sad. I can't imagine the horror of losing my children, and my heart goes out to the family.

Hopefully, this tragedy will spur folks to wear life jackets, take safety precautions such as proper attire, and prevent future such occurrences. “the father and two siblings did not resurface" implies a lack of life jackets, which other articles seem to corroborate. No one intends to capsize but maybe now more people will plan for a capsize. It's not just life jackets, either. In such weather, and with such cold water, hypothermia can set in very quickly. It's why you often see kayakers on the Sound wearing dry suits--they don't plan on going swimming, and kayaks are quite stable, but they've planned for the possibility of ending up in the water.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
This is heartbreaking - that poor family. Yet another horrible reminder to please wear your PFDs!

We - myself included - often consider lakes on a calm day to be pretty risk-free. From the news footage, it looks to me like the area they were searching was the north end of Soda Lake, where the inflow from Potholes enters the lake. There are very treacherous, swirling currents and upwellings there that can easily destabilize a small craft, and if they capsized with PFDs just loose in the boat, I can imagine they might be quickly swept out of reach.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Very sad. I can't imagine the horror of losing my children, and my heart goes out to the family.

Hopefully, this tragedy will spur folks to wear life jackets, take safety precautions such as proper attire, and prevent future such occurrences. “the father and two siblings did not resurface" implies a lack of life jackets, which other articles seem to corroborate. No one intends to capsize but maybe now more people will plan for a capsize. It's not just life jackets, either. In such weather, and with such cold water, hypothermia can set in very quickly. It's why you often see kayakers on the Sound wearing dry suits--they don't plan on going swimming, and kayaks are quite stable, but they've planned for the possibility of ending up in the water.
Unbelievably sad, tragic. Wear your PFD's.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Horribly sad. I believe it was Soda Lake as well although I haven't heard for sure.