Waders and wet feet

MounTaiNeer03

Freshly Spawned
When you wear waders, are your feet dry? I bought stocking waders and I don't know what to expect with regard to feet and legs being wet or dry.

Reactions: Zak

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Welcome to the forum @MounTaiNeer03 - do a little searching through this site and you can find opinions on socks. I agree with @Zak - avoid cotton. I wear wool or wool/poly blend socks. My feet stay dry except for toe jam moisture; if my feet get wet, I have a wader patching job ahead of me. I often fish lakes just after ice off; I keep thinking about battery heated socks... Good luck./Pat

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Welcome to the forum @MounTaiNeer03 - do a little searching through this site and you can find opinions on socks. I agree with @Zak - avoid cotton. I wear wool or wool/poly blend socks. My feet stay dry except for toe jam moisture; if my feet get wet, I have a wader patching job ahead of me. I often fish lakes just after ice off; I keep thinking about battery heated socks... Good luck./Pat
I use battery heated socks with a wicks away liner sock during the winter and keep it on medium setting. Don’t expect a hand warmer-type heat, but your toes never get cold.

G_Smolt

Legend
When you wear waders, are your feet dry?
Ideally, yes.

If you work up a sweat in any way, there is a distinct possibility that your feet will be moist, regardless of sock type. This is because the neoprene used in most stocking-foot (as opposed to boot-foot) waders is NOT breathable, and is in fact an insulator (and sweat-maker).

If you're not exerting yourself enough to sweat, your feet will stay dry.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Ideally, yes.

If you work up a sweat in any way, there is a distinct possibility that your feet will be moist, regardless of sock type. This is because the neoprene used in most stocking-foot (as opposed to boot-foot) waders is NOT breathable, and is in fact an insulator (and sweat-maker).

If you're not exerting yourself enough to sweat, your feet will stay dry.
This is true. When it comes to inside waders, there are two kinds of moisture: local and imported. I have had times where it was hard to know the difference.

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
You might give these a try

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
How do I ask this…

…Is a wet crotch a better sign of a leak in the waders than wet feet and legs? I’ve had the waders checked for leaks three times now and every time they come up undamaged.

I can assure you all there was no obvious source of “local moisture”.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
How do I ask this…

…Is a wet crotch a better sign of a leak in the waders than wet feet and legs? I’ve had the waders checked for leaks three times now and every time they come up undamaged.

That doesn't seem to be where condensation/sweat vapor inside builds up usually, but it does seem to be a classic spot for leaks to develop.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
How do I ask this…

I would imagine it's small leaks in your crotch seams. I recently gave up trying to find the holes and just slathered aquaseal down all of the seams there, and it was quite effective

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Another big deal is to leave room around your feet. Too much sock is a common error, then no gap for proper circulation for warmth. If you're in any kind of motion it should generate enough heat to stay warm without overinsulating or using another heat source.