W&M Granger Special Loose Guide

Cliff

Steelhead
When I returned from Montana last last week I noticed a loose wire guide on the mid-section on my W&M Granger Special 8642. Does anyone know of a person could can rewrap/repair this guide in the Seattle area? Photos attached.
Thanks,
CliffIMG_0165.JPGIMG_0166.JPG

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Cliff I could wrap that guide for you if you would like. I'm thinking that green variegated thread might be a problem to find though. I did see a spool on the big auction site that might be a match for $25. If you could get a thread color name or number that would make things much easier. can you take another picture in natural light to better show the color? Maybe Ron could help identify the color.

Last edited:

Cliff

Steelhead
Cliff I could wrap that guide for you if you would like. I'm thinking that green variegated thread might be a problem to find though. I did see a spool on the big auction site that might be a match for $25. If you could get a thread color name or number that would make things much easier. can you take another picture in natural light to better show the color? Maybe Ron could help identify the color.
Mike, thank you. I'm looking in to the correct silk, but if Ron has thoughts on this I would welcome them. Several years ago R. Kope rewrapped an 8642 guide for me on another rod and he purchased "Granger Green" silk, which was supposedly a correct match for the original silk. Unfortunately, over the ensuing 60+ years the threads faded on the rod so the newer "correct" Granger Green rewrapped guide didn't match the existing wraps. I didn't particularly care on that rod because it was a beater, cosmetically. This rod is in pretty decent shape so I'm going to have to put some thought into this. I appreciate your kind offer, Mike.

Cliff

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
In a quick search one person I found said "Belding Corticelli 9375 and clear lacquer" was a good choice to consider.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That sure seems like a good price for a "case" of small spools. You might want to get another opinion of the correct color but the writer thought it is very close. The challenge is the finishing process to match the aged existing wraps. The good news is that you'll never run out of thread LOL.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
That’s not a thread I’ve seen or come across unfortunately. Cliff if you want to stop by my home in Bothell sometime I’d be happy to look at it and see if I have a match in my thread boxes. I know I have standard “granger green” but not variegated. I also have a spool of non granger black & green variegated nylon but I don’t think it’s a match. I’d post on Classic Forum to see if anyone has a better idea what it is.

Cliff

Steelhead
That’s not a thread I’ve seen or come across unfortunately. Cliff if you want to stop by my home in Bothell sometime I’d be happy to look at it and see if I have a match in my thread boxes. I know I have standard “granger green” but not variegated. I also have a spool of non granger black & green variegated nylon but I don’t think it’s a match. I’d post on Classic Forum to see if anyone has a better idea what it is.
Thank you very much. Do you think that would be a better plan than going ahead to purchase these Belding Corticelli 9375 silk spools on ebay that Mike found? I'm having issues with my login information on the Classic Rod Forum and I cannot get in at the present.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think you will always be able to find the BC9375 so I would suggest a visit with Ron to see what he might suggest or have on hand. We really don't need much to re wrap one guide. A bit more for testing on a test section to try replicate the finish on the rest of the wraps.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thank you very much. Do you think that would be a better plan than going ahead to purchase these Belding Corticelli 9375 silk spools on ebay that Mike found? I'm having issues with my login information on the Classic Rod Forum and I cannot get in at the present.
Yes. The BC9375 is the standard factory Granger Green. A wonderful color and if you decided to have the rod completely re-wrapped it would be an excellent choice. But it wouldn't match your existing wraps well unfortunately if you are seeking a close or perfect match.

Cliff

Steelhead
Yes. The BC9375 is the standard factory Granger Green. A wonderful color and if you decided to have the rod completely re-wrapped it would be an excellent choice. But it wouldn't match your existing wraps well unfortunately if you are seeking a close or perfect match.
Yes, I'm kind of thinking that way myself. So, I have a decision to make, have the entire rod rewrapped or just have the one guide rewrapped and learn to live with the difference in colors. Decision time. Thank you for your input.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Cliff, I got home from my trip and looked at my supply of silk threads and I don't think I have a match. My green & black jasper thread is not silk but is nylon and it's a much darker green...forest green. I did a google search and found one old reference of what is likely the right thread but it doesn't say who made it let alone how to find that needle in the haystack color. Then I searched eBay for "green & black silk thread" and there's a vintage spool that might be the right one for sale and pretty darn cheap. Good luck to you. Ron

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Here's the exact listing title...but I'm not sure what size thread this is. I looks a bit thick.

"Vintage Silk Thread for Bamboo Fly Rods Sizes 00 OR A -Jasper/Variegated Blk/Grn"

And I looked again...not so cheap after all.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think you really need to take a better picture in the natural light Cliff to better try to guess what might work. Could you do that and post it up? Thanks