UV Resin

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
I have not ever used it, don't know much about the different kinds available, but have been thinking of giving it a try. The uv lights vary in price a lot, like 14 to 75 bucks. What's difference. Are the higher priced lights worth the cost?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Different lights tend to have different levels of power. Some cheap lights do just fine, but many are slow to cure or fail to cure--especially with some resins like Loon. The Loon Plasma is the only light I've found to full cure Loon resin in a reasonable amount of time. Every other light seems to leave Loon resin oily (which is part of the reason why I use Solarez). If you do end up with a light or a resin that leaves a fly oily, hand sanitizer seems to solve it handily.

Another reason some cost more is that they are rechargeable. For me, I'd rather pay a bit more upfront and save on batteries and having to throw away batteries in the future.

Slightly off topic, and anecdotal for sure, but I have tried jewelry uv resin off and on because it is significantly cheaper, but it seems to shatter far more often than fly tying resin.

Last edited:

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Buying the light from the maker of the resin your using makes a lot of sense. Not all resins are chemicaly the same and will initiate best at a particular UV wavelength. The maker of the resin will sell you the best light for their product.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Slightly off topic, and anecdotal for sure, but I have tried jewelry uv resin off and on because it is significantly cheaper, but it seems to shatter far more often than fly tying resin.
Jake, give this one a try. Although I haven’t had any shattering issues with the hard types, this soft formula has really worked out well on a lot of different patterns. Although it is called soft, it really just flexes a bit more than the hard types. Am curing with the Ultrafire 502B light.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
really like a UV coating on chrom's, provides a sparkle that lights up the casing.
Prefer brush-on applicator, current fave is Solarez Bone Dry.
Been using a $10 395 nM UV flashlight for two decades, works on everything UV activated. The higher the nM, the stronger the drying activation.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Ditto what SurfnFish said. But Ive only been tying with UV for the last two years ish. Same light, same UV resin though. YMMV but Ive been more than pleased with the results. I may have got lucky on the UV light but I aint changing.

Have a great weekend all.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
FWIW I like the higher powered lights. Had a ccg light and it got messed up so I got the loon rechargeable one (I think the infinity). Really like that light.

As some have said, it can often be the product. I’ve tried the cheaper stuff from
Amazon and from jewelry making supply stores but have yet to make those work for me (they remain tacky or smelly etc). Haven’t tried the brand mike said about tho.

With the loon light and solarez products, I have gotten a good result.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
yqbuCFu.jpg

1pEqaET.jpg

21 led uv light $3.48 on temu or $8.99 at walmart

i use the above light with solarez bone dry and have no problems with curing

the resin manufacturers light can usually be found on ebay, amazon, aliexpress for way less than the resin manufactures are gonna charge

they buy their lights from asian suppliers and jack up the price

Zoran

Steelhead
The best is if you borrow some resin and light to play.
I wish you are in Vancouver BC to come and borrow my Gulff Fishing light and few resin bottles. I am gradually moving from it. Still do some euro flies but when I run out of resin (in a year or two :) ) I am not going to buy any. I will not stop euro nymphing. Many patterns do not need resin at all.
I addition I will dry fly fish as much as possible. Or swing flies as much as I can.

I know everyone is looking for durable fly, you can fish endlessly (resin helps). If you tie flies for fun and to try new patterns, who cares is you catch one fish per fly? Or two. To me that is enough satisfaction. Even if I have proven patterns that catch fish, I am still intrigued to try new pattern. It is great to disconnect from this troubling world and tie flies.