Umpqua Fly Tying and Casting Festival

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Great venue, but not much turnout.
Curious as to why?
It seemed the word got out thru different media(s)
Odd…

I enjoyed it and bought some materials and won a raffle item.
Had a good time.

the_grube

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I worked the fly casting demonstration/teaching area almost the entire day. The times I spent in the venue the crowd size did seem a bit underwhelming.

@FinLuver glad you made it out and had a good time. Did you buy from the vendor in the corner selling boxes and boxes of tying material? I picked up Whiting and Metz saddles there. Great stuff and prices.

@dirty dog , the entrance admission was a non-perishable food item... and there were dozens of tiers that were happy to chat you up, show you their favorite pattern and even give flies away.

@Rob Allen wish you could have been there too. Joe H. was one of the tiers. Maybe next year?

WRT the modest attendance.. not sure. Anyone go to the Albany or other fly fishing shows. Are they all in decline attendance wise?

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
53B0CA99-4E0B-4D0B-A030-D2153C6B3462.jpegAlbany’s attendance was sub-par from previous years. I think it’ll take a couple of years for the attendance to rebound, especially after Covid nonsense.

Some things that may also factor in…
- Fly fishers are aging faster than the younger recruitment.
- Inflation has reduced the “extras” we used to enjoy.
- Mismanagement of our fisheries and river/forest closures.
- Expense of licenses vs the ROI.

I came home with more of Paul Wolflick’s tying materials…there were some great deals to be had!!!

Even won this in a raffle…