Ultimately I had to have this gear…

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
And it’s so sad.

IMG_3323.jpeg
… the lanyard with readers is now on me at all times when fishing. Been struggling tying knots, especially with light reflections off water and just simply seeing the line go through this loop and that loop, etc.
Has anyone ever said it sucks getting old?

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Glasses since 4th grade, but close vision is still perfect.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Glasses since 4th grade, but close vision is still perfect.
Glasses since 4th grade as well - cataract surgery a year ago (20/20 for the first time in 65 years (but I use cheaters for the stuff about12" - 18" from my eyes).

@Porter2 - I'm grateful to be getting old and alive, grandkids come with age and they're the best. For you, glasses are an inconvenience! ;-)

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Glasses wearer here.
Luckily I can see really well up close, so no readers needed. Can’t tie knots with my glasses on, but openly admit I’m also in bifocal denial. I just look under my prescription sunglasses when fishing if a knot needs to be tied. Also never wear my glasses when working on the computer.
SF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've had the glasses to correct a stigmatism since college. My prescription never really changes, I can still wear my old glasses, and really see fine without them most of the time. Thought of OMJ yesterday, as my hands trembled a bit, making it harder than usual. Long walk and a bit sore this morning. Yeah, getting older sucks, and I'm only 60.

dbaken

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I got a pair of sunglasses with little built in readers, so I wouldn't have to switch glasses every I changed flies. Works pretty well. Though I look a little strange wearing sunglasses in the fall and winter.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I got a pair of sunglasses with little built in readers, so I wouldn't have to switch glasses every I changed flies. Works pretty well. Though I look a little strange wearing sunglasses in the fall and winter.

I’m probably the odd ball, but I wear sunglasses year round when I fish regardless of the weather.
I still like the polarization properties of them even in low light plus the eye protection.
SF

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
Trifocals for me.
I had a detached retina in 2015.
Cataract surgery in both eyes.
Still see pretty good with glasses but tying knots is difficult with poor up close depth perception. I wear sunglasses when I drive and fish even when raining.
At night I keep amber polarized fitovers
on my lap for quick protection from the blinding super bright lights more and more common these days.
I avoid driving when it's dark as much as possible.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Wear them year round. Have two pair of prescription transitionals, one specific for fishing. I also have a neutral gray that is used for driving that works great for normal driving, in heavy downpours and snow storms. Pupil dilation gives you better clarity in diminishing conditions. Learned that working out of the upper Midwest in the 70s & 80s. Eliminates the snow hypnotism effect of spatial recognition issues. BTW, I bought the neutral gray from Warby Parker based upon the recommendation put forth by a couple of members in another thread awhile back. They came to spot on in less than two weeks.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I embraced progressive lenses about 15 years ago. They take a little getting used to, but once you do it’s awesome. However, I’ve been too cheap to get progressive lenses in my sunglasses. It’s a drag, because they are really hard to look under. Next pair are progressives too. The weird part is that I don’t actually need any correction for close vision- they just back out the correction so I can see close with my glasses on.