Tying Technique question: Anti-fouling tails on buggers

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I've been adding a short mono loop off the back of some of my buggers and bunny flies. It kinda props up the base of the tail and helps cut down on tail wrap hassles.

I've heard tell of people using a pin reversed out the back to extend the body back behind the hook bend...kinda like a reverse balanced leech. Anyone tried this? if so, how do you wrap back behind the bend when the hook is in the vise?

Curious in Bend

James St. Clair

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not really answering your direct question, but I have had good luck poking a hole in the rabbit strip about 1/2" behind where it extends off the bend of the hook and then threading 20lb. Mono through that to create a loop. Basically tie your mono on, tie the tail on and poke a hole through the leather strip. Thread the mono through and pull over the top (hair side), and then tie on to the hook to create a loose mono loop.

Chucker

Steelhead
I don’t do anything fancy, just a blob of some sort of goop on the base of the tail to stiffen it up a bit gets the job done. I have been using 3D fabric paint recently. It comes in a little plastic bottle, it works, it’s cheap, and I can get it at my local Fred Meyer.

tkww

Steelhead
I've been adding a short mono loop off the back of some of my buggers and bunny flies. It kinda props up the base of the tail and helps cut down on tail wrap hassles.
As James points out, a loop through the rabbit is by far the most effective method.
I've heard tell of people using a pin reversed out the back to extend the body back behind the hook bend...kinda like a reverse balanced leech. Anyone tried this? if so, how do you wrap back behind the bend when the hook is in the vise?

Curious in Bend
That's in interesting idea, though I generally just don't use that long of a marabou tail. If I was going to, I suppose getting it as far away from the hook bend as possible would be a good thing.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I do the following a lot with craft fur off the back of my bass streamers: after your standard tie in, two wraps horizontally under the material but not around the hook (if that makes sense). It works very well.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I do the following a lot with craft fur off the back of my bass streamers: after your standard tie in, two wraps horizontally under the material but not around the hook (if that makes sense). It works very well.
I do a few wraps around the hook behind the tail, jamming the wraps into the base of the tail. It seems to help. When I have a bugger that keeps fouling the tail, I bring it back to the vise and put a drop of super glue at the base of the tail.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Good stuff here, thanks all.

I found this vid and the foreign guy has a simple technique for maribou that I will try, He leaves some of the stem in to keep it from fouling. Looks like a good idea and also a dam sexy bugger too. Gonna skip the cone though