Turkey calls. What’s your favorite?

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
What are your favorite turkey calls?

I’ve never been real serious about Turkey hunting or calling tell this year. In fact I had only hunted turkeys a few times. Last year my wife and I kind of bought our dream property( even though it’s a mess and needs a ton of work) but there are turkeys there. So… I’ve had some cheep calls that are made by Primos for years. And like with duck hunting I thought since I’m going to be getting serious about this, that I would get a few nice calls. So I beat up the internet and found David Halloran turkey calls out of Great Valley NY.

Let me just say wow! These calls are beautiful and sound great!! I picked up the Crystal Mistress pot call and an Macassar Ebony and walnut box call. I’m looking forward to many years to come with these calls, hopefully they will be passed down in future generations in my family!

What are your favorite calls? Let’s see them.
44218944-7CE1-4C2E-951A-B4AE9AF203E5.png

Last edited:

JS

Mankie Old Chum
What are your favorite turkey calls?

I’ve never been real serious about Turkey hunting or calling tell this year. In fact I had only hunted turkeys a few times. Last year my wife and I kind of bought our dream property( even though it’s a mess and needs a ton of work) but there are turkeys there. So… I’ve had some cheep calls that are made by Primos for years. And like with duck hunting I thought since I’m going to be getting serious about this, that I would get a few nice calls. So I beat up the internet and found David Halloran turkey calls out of Great Valley NY.

Let me just say wow! These calls are beautiful and sound great!! I picked up the Crystal Mistress pot call and an Macassar Ebony and walnut box call. I’m looking forward to many years to come with these calls, hopefully they will be passed down in future generations in my family!

What are your favorite calls? Let’s see them.
View attachment 62935
Beautiful calls!

My pot call is from JT Calls and it’s slate over glass. Since I bow hunt for them pretty much exclusively these days, I have put a bunch more time into diaphragm calls. I really like JTs stuff, but recently bought a pack of Phelps calls and they are badass.

Cliff

Steelhead
I started turkey hunting back in 2011, but only really became serious about it in the past five years. I've gone a little nuts with calls. I started off with a Primos Ole Betsy, then got another cheap glass call (can't remember the brand). Got a second Ole Betsy because I misplaced the first one, now I have two. I them bought a Primos Wet Box box call, which I still have. It was also cheap but sounds great. I then bought a wooden "push-pull" call from Trinity, which is really cool and is surprisingly effective. A few months ago I bought my first expensive wooden pot call. It's an absolute beautiful work of art, but it doesn't sound any better than my cheap Primos slates calls. I don't regret buying it, though. Last year and this year I've gotten into diaphragm calls and they're pretty much my go-to call. It took me a while to get past the gag factor, but once I did I practised like hell and I'm ok with them now. I still carry several different types of calls in my vest, but it's the diaphragm calls I'm using now. With the exception of my one costly (to me) pot call, my calls are inexpensive and work just fine. They all call the birds in and that's all I really need.

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
When I used to hunt turkeys I hunted them with a bow so it was 95% diaphragm calls for me. I would use a slate when calling for others. I would often go to the slate as the closer. I was able to control the volume of a slate better for purs and soft clucks.

Cliff

Steelhead
When I used to hunt turkeys I hunted them with a bow so it was 95% diaphragm calls for me. I would use a slate when calling for others. I would often go to the slate as the closer. I was able to control the volume of a slate better for purs and soft clucks.
Pretty much the same M.O. with me, at least until I progress in my diaphragm calling. This past week I heard my first "Kee Kee" call (not a "Kee Kee-Run") from a hen that was assembling a small flock of birds near my blind but about 20 yards out of my range. There was at least one nice Tom in the group. I had heard about this specific call on a youtube video on turkey calling and it's associated more with fall hunting. I tried to mimic the hen with my highest-pitched diaphragm call but couldn't quite do it. I turned them a couple of times but no shot. It would have been a perfect time to use a slate or box call but I didn't want to move and give myself away.