Top water pile(polychaeta) worm pattern

This pile worm pattern is a fly which I have not used very often. It is 4 1/2 inches long as shown in the photo but can be tied as long as 8 inches. It will catch large sea-run cutthroat which is probably due to the long length of the pattern. The first time that I used this fly I landed three large (17 to 18 inches) sea-run cutthroat on the first casts at a local beach in 2 to 3 feet of water. I need to use this pattern more often since it probably has a good hook up ratio for large sea-run cutthroat. There is a fishing adage that says "a large fly pattern catches large fish." Pile worms should be available year round. The tying materials are: olive rabbit strip, crystal flash, olive barred crazy legs, HMH micro tube, foam pencil popper head, and SC -15 Gamakutsu hook.

Roger

Attachments

• IMG_0055[1].JPG
    IMG_0055[1].JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Peach rabbit strip on a small stinger hook works great too

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I’ve caught some big SRC on a game changer style pattern, tied with just olive polar chenille and an olive schlappen collar. Not a favorite search pattern so I have not caught a lot of fish on this fly but the ones I have caught have been good ones.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Cool pattern, might give that a try thank you. Love those small SC15 hooks as stinger.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
This pile worm pattern is a fly which I have not used very often. It is 4 1/2 inches long as shown in the photo but can be tied as long as 8 inches. It will catch large sea-run cutthroat which is probably due to the long length of the pattern. The first time that I used this fly I landed three large (17 to 18 inches) sea-run cutthroat on the first casts at a local beach in 2 to 3 feet of water. I need to use this pattern more often since it probably has a good hook up ratio for large sea-run cutthroat. There is a fishing adage that says "a large fly pattern catches large fish." Pile worms should be available year round. The tying materials are: olive rabbit strip, crystal flash, olive barred crazy legs, HMH micro tube, foam pencil popper head, and SC -15 Gamakutsu hook.

Roger
Roger, I just want to say how much I've appreciated your posts. They are a clinic and your fly tying instructions are clear and practical. You should publish a book!

Roger, I just want to say how much I've appreciated your posts. They are a clinic and your fly tying instructions are clear and practical. You should publish a book!
Thanks for the kind words. I have just started tying a segmented floating pile worm pattern. It has a lot of side to side movement which should be enticing to sea-run cutthroat. It is a little time consuming to tie but is extremely realistic since it looks like a real pile worm. I will post a writeup and photos in the next couple of days. IMHO it should be a "killer" pattern for large sea-run cutthroat.

Roger