Tips on buying a used drift boat

cole_p

Yelling at trout
Forum Supporter
What sort of questions should I ask if I’m considering buying a used boat?

What should I look for? Shit to avoid?

How does one register a boat?

I don’t know anything about buying/owning a boat and would appreciate any advice y’all might have. Thanks!

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you buy in Oregon especially with a trailer that has no plate you will get hosed trying to register in Washington. It's not a deal killer but understand there will be money spent to do it so make sure it's the boat you want at the right price.

Other stuff.....

Basic condition. A man that looks after other stuff certainly will a drifter. It's about the most neglected item in most yards

I cannot understate the importance of good oars. Wood is good.

Have you settled in on if you want glass or metal yet? You should decide going in and for good reasons.

Bottom condition and presence of repair. Again if done right not a deal breaker but it tells a story.

If you are going metal I wouldn't own a boat without a uhmw shoe.

Fit. Does the boat have adjustable rowers and passengers seat? If it doesn't it better fit you. If you are average size normally not a thing but if you are not it is a problem. A seat that moves is also good for trimming to load. I wouldn't own a boat where the seats in the front didn't slide side to side. Don't do it. You will always be off kilter.

Seats, are they comfortable?

Anchor system. Is it good? Is it in the floor where ice makes life a problem? I prefer Lee lock side pull. It should be easy to use in a tense situation.

Storage. Dry storage is very nice. You should want lots of it. You can overcome by bins under the seat but only if there is clearance.

Overall layout. If you are a dirty ass nymph fisher you may want to have the option to run one angler in each end rather than the side by side. If you are a high and mighty swinging purist side by side is best for agility and sharing scotch.

Type of water you run. A low side boat is easier in and out but somewhat a liability in heavy water, think Whitehorse on the D. You can overcome with skilled rowing most of the time but a high side can save a mistake from being an ordeal. To that end metal boats without a shoe are easier to sink as they stick if you hit something. They are louder as well.

Adjustable oar locks? These are nice to have to get the fit right. A boat that fits the rower and the job at hand is a pleasure to use and fights fatigue.

The above are some considerations that should help you thin the prospects. There's no right answer and personal preference is king but there's also the case for learning from others realisations.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
If you’re buying a wooden boat, be aggressive about probing for rot, and don’t be in a hurry. Avoid wooden boats that have been stored outside.

RCF

Life of the Party
For boats that have had recent repairs/refurbishment or restoration, who was it done by and are they reputable? Warranty?

Easily could be 'lipstick on a pig'.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
General buying tips.

1. Be prepared to say no and walk away.
2. Trust your gut about the person your dealing with. They seem like someone you don't want to deal with. Say no and walk away.
3. Decide how much you want to spend and don't go over it.
4. Take your time. Don't let your desire to own a boat trick you into buying one thats not what you want or more than it's worth.

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
My advice, don't believe a thing anyone tells you over the phone or in an ad.

Make them show you the paperwork first and make them show you their I.D. If any of its missing or their I.D. doesn't match the paperwork, walk!

Regardless of how righteous or nice the seller seems in your correspondence, never carry cash to your meet. Do the transaction with the seller at the teller's window at a bank. There will be video of the transaction. If they refuse to go in to do the transaction, walk!

If possible ( and I've used this one to chase off a few characters when selling my boats. ) ask for the viewing to be at a local police department parking lot and don't be shy about walking into the p.d. and check-in with them, letting them know why you're in their lot. Most will give you kudo's for using your head.

If you don't know much about the type of boat you're after, take someone with you who does.

Here's a simple one, what size ball do you need and what type of electrical connection does the trailer take? Go prepared to trailer it home.

Honestly, I've never bought a used boat. To me, it's simply easier to hold off on a purchase, put together more funds, think it over a bit longer, learn more, research more and get what I really want. Also, I have never had a new boat shipped to me, I've always ordered it, waited for the build and drove ( as far as three states away ) on an extended weekend to pick up my new boats. It's kind of cool to walk the floor of the boat works, get to meet the crew who built your boat, the company owner, etc. and to get that " You're one of the family " feeling.

I realize that's not for everyone, but for first time buyers I think it's a safer way to go. Let the people who design and build them walk you through your first boat.

...and as the seller of used boats, I'm a lot more comfortable selling a boat to someone who knows what their buying and has experience rowing.

Whichever way you go, good luck.

Joe H

Just Hatched
Pretty much what others have stated.
And be prepared to spend twice as much as the boat is worth, per our current economy!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
If you’re buying a wooden boat, be aggressive about probing for rot, and don’t be in a hurry. Avoid wooden boats that have been stored outside.
Phil knows!

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Getting Into opinion a little. But if you are looking at glass boats there are only 3 brands worth considering for use in the PNW. Two of the three are out of business.
1. Clackacraft
2. Lavro
3. Sliderite

Clackacraft if you want lots of gadgets and newer paint jobs

Lavro. If you want a tank you can beat up while you learn.

Sliderite if you don't mind an older boat but one that rows superbly.

Hyde? Oh. Hell no take that crap to the Gravel bottom rocky mountain rivers...

If it were me. I'd be looking for a late 80s- 2000 Clackacraft. And I'd be looking to spend no more than 4000 dollars.