Thread

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I am planning to finally start tying my own flies this winter. So far I have been learning clouser minnows, and keeping it simple with white #140 thread. I am trying to branch out into more patterns, BC style coho flies and some of the spawn fly fish salmon patterns as well. The problem is every fly tying tutorial is going to suggest a different thread, and it looks like things can get real pricey real quick. What is a good basic starting kit of threads to keep on hand that should keep me covered for most flies? I am going to be sticking with baitfish patterns and small streamers aimed at anadromous fish to begin with.

Can’t wait to start sharing the things I tie up!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I use a lot of fine mono thread for saltwater patterns.
If you are concerned with costs and not having to buy a bunch of different colors, you can always tie with white thread and mark the head with a permanent marker once you complete the fly. Let the marker dry then add your head cement. Just an option to consider.
SF

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
i would suggest you buy the smallest aught or denier thread you can comfortably tie with

i personally use 14/0 thread for most of my flies including steelhead flies, hairwing streamers and salmon flies, nymphs and dries

i dont follow the age old recommendations of you have to use this size for this and this size for that fly

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
It does seem like there are a million types of thread out there, especially since folks have started using the "Denier" rating in lieu of the old "ought" rating. But basically, aside from the different brands, there are two popular thicknesses of thread. Thick and thin. Thick is 3/0 or ~210 denier and thin would be 6/0 or ~140 denier. There are thinner threads (8/0, 12/0 etc...) for the really small dry flies, but the vast majority of the time I am either grabbing 3/0 or 6/0 thread in whatever color I need. Black is the most versatile and common I think, followed closely by white for saltwater stuff. And like SF mentions, you can get monofilament thread which is handy sometimes when you want a translucent effect and have the material show thru the wraps.

I'd also have some hot pink, orange and chartreuse thread in both thick and thin sizes.

If you ever want to spin deer hair, the Kevlar or GSP threads are good for that, because you can reef hard on them and they will never break.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I like the UTC ultra threads in 70 and 140 for my stream and lake flies. I would guess for saltwater you would use the 140 like you said or 210, not really my ball park so listen to the others.
Anyway, my comment was going to be that in my experience thread colors matter. The thread will show through dubbing, under hackle, whatever, when wet, and those subtle colors and the effect it gives affect the fly as a whole and how the fish will react to it.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Norm uses 14/0, Stonedfish uses some "mono" thread, Merle and Tom are using 70 and 140 denier (or 6/0 and 8/0?). I've been SUCKERED into this you gotta have this thread or that thread, deeply suckered. I started tying flies my junior year in college (47 years ago, jeez), tying rhread options back then were quite limited. I'm sure some of my Uni-thread spools in 6/0 date back to those days and I still wrap stuff on hooks with Uni-thread. The other day I wrapped a couple of scuds with 18/0 (see what I mean about suckered) thread. 210 Fl. Orange makes a great hotspot.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I think this is good advice above. You probably don’t need to worry about covering all the thicknesses in the beginning, and can go thin or medium.

Waxed thread is okay but now I avoid it because it’ll gum up your bobbin eventually.

For colors, I use mainly, maybe in this order:
black, clear mono, fluorescent orange, drab brownish olivey gray if you can find it (for trout stuff), white, red, olive, hot pink, chartreuse

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
@Kashf,

It was hit on above regarding the heads of flies, but you can also use a white thread and color it accordingly, via a permanent marker, for tying the main body of the fly. I started doing this recently. It can speed up tying as you arent changing out threads/bobbins.

Another rabbit hole is UV/Flouro threads and floss. For me, the jury is still out regarding the effectiveness of these materials, in general. Im leaning towards the depth of the water and/or the flow/speed of the water and/or the daylight conditions present, affect the "glow" effect on said materials and as such may not be the "golden ticket" advertised.

Good luck on your journey. You dont have to spend a great deal of money to tie flies that will catch fish. Think of it this way, 150 years ago they had very limited materials for flies, rods, reels etc. They caught fish.

Happy Holidays everyone.

Bob

G_Smolt

Legend
Veevus gsp is pretty bitchin. I use that and their 140d thread a lot, as well as Danville flat waxed 210d. I'm somewhat of a ham-handed tier, so I break pretty much anything lighter than 6/0.

Solid advice on the white as a base with color applied as needed - I used to finish heads with a range of nail polishes doing double-duty as the color element and thread sealant.

Reactions: Zak