Non-Fly The Green (Duwamish) River

Wiznet

Steelhead
Figured I'd start a thread since its a fishable local river for many. How have folks done since the opener? Fished it this morning throwing pink jigs and floating some roe. No luck on either. Saw some fish roll at our second spot but none at our first.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Figured I'd start a thread since its a fishable local river for many. How have folks done since the opener? Fished it this morning throwing pink jigs and floating some roe. No luck on either. Saw some fish roll at our second spot but none at our first.
I just went out to the Bay yesterday and it was easy fishing out there. I got one pink on a jig and then switched to flies. Landed a coho and a bunch of pinks. They don't always let us fish the Bay and it's fun out there. I'll probably stay up in the River once the fish fill in a bit more.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Quick question for those in the know. There is tribal netting going on now mainly targeting chinook and coho in the lower Duwamish.
Obviously some pinks are encountered in that fisheries. Are the humpies used primarily for roe similar to chum or is there a market for the fish themselves?
Maybe sell them directly to the public at their location near the 1st South Bridge? Just curious as to what becomes of them.
SF

Wiznet

Steelhead
I just went out to the Bay yesterday and it was easy fishing out there. I got one pink on a jig and then switched to flies. Landed a coho and a bunch of pinks. They don't always let us fish the Bay and it's fun out there. I'll probably stay up in the River once the fish fill in a bit more.
oh man I'm jealous. I am bank bound so waiting for them to push out of the bay. Seems like its a blast out there with a fly rod!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
oh man I'm jealous. I am bank bound so waiting for them to push out of the bay. Seems like its a blast out there with a fly rod!
I cannot deny that :D
I feel for you. If I didn't have a floating device, I'd be looking for some way to get out there in the river a bit--a SOT kayak or something. I frequently use a canoe for quick missions. I know I see some interesting craft every odd-numbered year. It's one of the things I actually have to come to really appreciate about fishing the Duwamish--people watching (while pulling on fish)!

Wiznet

Steelhead
I cannot deny that :D
I feel for you. If I didn't have a floating device, I'd be looking for some way to get out there in the river a bit--a SOT kayak or something. I frequently use a canoe for quick missions. I know I see some interesting craft every odd-numbered year. It's one of the things I actually have to come to really appreciate about fishing the Duwamish--people watching (while pulling on fish)!
No kidding! I've seen some interesting launches done near the amazon wharehouse lol. Have you had any success floating roe for kings?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
No kidding! I've seen some interesting launches done near the amazon wharehouse lol. Have you had any success floating roe for kings?
Never tried it in the Duwamish. I gave up on the coho in the River, too. Once they get in there I cannot catch them. There's a few that can, and I am not one of them.

Wiznet

Steelhead
Never tried it in the Duwamish. I gave up on the coho in the River, too. Once they get in there I cannot catch them. There's a few that can, and I am not one of them.
Yeah that was my experience last year. Put 20 days on the river with 0 coho to show :ROFLMAO: must've not been using the right scents or holding my pinky right ;)

Wiznet

Steelhead
Quick question for those in the know. There is tribal netting going on now mainly targeting chinook and coho in the lower Duwamish.
Obviously some pinks are encountered in that fisheries. Are the humpies used primarily for roe similar to chum or is there a market for the fish themselves?
Maybe sell them directly to the public at their location near the 1st South Bridge? Just curious as to what becomes of them.
SF
maybe the collective might of the forecasted 850k pinks will breach the nets to free all the fish!

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
maybe the collective might of the forecasted 850k pinks will breach the nets to free all the fish!

I think the PS forecast might be on the low side, but that is just me.
Would have been nice to have a 2+2 limit like they just did in the straits. Lots of fun c&r fishing opportunities on 2+2 years.
SF

Wiznet

Steelhead
Fished today on the lower. The snaggers were in full force. Was pretty disheartening to see all the poaching. Hooked quiet a bit fish but I’m pretty sure they were mostly foul hooks.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Fished today on the lower. The snaggers were in full force. Was pretty disheartening to see all the poaching. Hooked quiet a bit fish but I’m pretty sure they were mostly foul hooks.

Big runs and river fishing in the PNW.
SF

IMG_4444.jpeg

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Everyone over there uses Mepps Spinners in froggy water, I have yet to hook one but I hear they are quite bitey.

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We would run plug rods just above the mouth. Going up and down the 1st few miles of the river.
Pissed off coho are a hoot.