The Future of Food?

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
This kinda relates to the @clarkman thread about tuna filleting. I get a lot of my media, for better or worse from YouTube. I was just recommended this video to watch based on my search history I guess (which is another topic in itself).

Is this really the direction we are going as a society? I know the answer is yes but it pains me. I know this is an extreme version of what is being offered to the masses but I see it, or something similar as a starting point/experiment that could be a real possibility for mainstream humans in the near future. Don’t get me wrong though, if there was a nachos version of this concept I’d be super down 🫠

RCF

Life of the Party
Now coming your way ---> FDA approved meat grown from cells. Obviously very environmentally/socially friendly because of the 'no kill' of an animal. It is cultivated.

So when we go to restaurants some of us want to know more about the beef:
Range or grain fed?
How long has it been aged?
Grade of the meat: Good, Choice or Prime?

Now we get to add to that list: Is it cultivated?

Last edited:

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Don’t forget the advantages of the almost now forgotten, but cutting edge Soylent Green.
A soy & lentil combo with “all natural ingredients/additives” which we now have an almost unending supply of based upon the earth’s current population and birth rate. Natural re-cycling at its finest.
:unsure:

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
"Soylent Green" no longer seems that far fetched!
I agree. We currently have organ donors, pre and postmortem. Nothing new about that. Signed up.
Organ and full body donors for scientific research, of which I am also signed up for in the event of a natural death, otherwise…harvest up.. in the case of a non natural death. Medical school study or use as fertilizer, matters not.
After that point it’s not a big jump to Homo Sapien Bacon or Jerky or even Liver & Onions.
I mean, c’mon, what’s a few more ingredients listed on the side of the package recently purchased at your local Albertson’s along with a slight change in the %DV info. It’s just basic recycling, right? What’s not to like?

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I agree. We currently have organ donors, pre and postmortem. Nothing new about that. Signed up.
Organ and full body donors for scientific research, of which I am also signed up for in the event of a natural death, otherwise…harvest up.. in the case of a non natural death. Medical school study or use as fertilizer, matters not.
After that point it’s not a big jump to Homo Sapien Bacon or Jerky or even Liver & Onions.
I mean, c’mon, what’s a few more ingredients listed on the side of the package recently purchased at your local Albertson’s along with a slight change in the %DV info. It’s just basic recycling, right? What’s not to like?
And there's this - https://soylent.com/

JayB

Steelhead
It'd be interesting to learn more about the tissue-culture methods that they use to grow these cells - the growth medium in particular. When I was in the lab nearly all of the growth media for cultured cells required supplementation with fetal bovine serum (guess where that comes from) but they must have found a way around that.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Feeding 8 billion + people is tenuous now and could become impossible if we were to experience another year like 1816-the year without a summer. The result of the worlds largest volcanic eruption in recorded history, Mount Tambora in Indonesia, led to failed crops around the world as summer temps in the northern hemisphere dropped below freezing and snow occurred during June and July. Such a scenario is possible again but also an asteroid strike or a nuclear exchange could trigger the same thing. Any one of them would break the food chain in a disastrous way.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'll stick with my current diet of baby featus'. Cooked on a gas range of course.

Why does everybody take a scientific advance to the absolute extreme? I can only imagine the culture war if somebody just invented a microwave.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I was heart broken to see the only bottle that was GREEN was the Gingerbread Flavor.
Still an interesting concept though but I don’t like the one gram of added sugar.
Think they’re trying to smooth out the flavor profiles.