The elusive Bonneville Cutthroat

A few years back I went on a solo camping/fishing trip to a beautiful and remote area of Wyoming where three distinct strains of Cutthroat can be caught, all in their native headwater drainages, and all within a very short distance of one another. That trip unfortunately was cut short and I only succeeded in catching two of them… the Colorado Cutthroat and the Snake River strain of Cutthroat. I only fished for the Bonneville trout for a short time and I was unsuccessful in catching one, but I had a couple of weeks in late September of this year to fix that. Also, my Dad had passed away in the interim, and this was a special place to him where he‘d spent a lot of time in the outdoors. He loved the area, and so this was an opportunity for me to spend a little more time with him while there, at least in spirit.

All kinds of weather happened from rain to fog, to snow and then finally to those bluebird days of fall with their crisp, frosty mornings, and the bluest skies of the year.

8DED13C1-2487-4E65-8C9B-57AFC6C7F246.jpeg
6F51B2FF-E997-455F-A965-25722F0B092B.jpeg
DF0E513D-0AE3-47EC-BCA8-291B61E31D32.jpeg
18444C3D-F3B5-4D94-96D2-B1AE1FD2EE12.jpeg
C57E0BB1-C63B-404A-82AF-6E0E424A249B.jpeg
Almost all of the trip was spent in more remote areas outside the well known parks in the area, and the solitude was refreshing. We had a lot of great campsites all to my wife and myself. Bugling bull elk in the evening and howling coyotes later in the night were the only interruptions.

I always spend a bunch of time glassing for animals on these trips. We saw a lot. Foxes, coyotes, four wolves, a Grizzly and of course elk, moose deer and pronghorns. Granted, some were in the park but others were outside of it.

I had just hung my waders up after fishing and sat down in my chair when from around the back of the camper this fox came trotting by. It looked at us with as much surprise as we did, then trotted off nearby to take a dump and mark the spot as his. It was pretty funny…

9A62CE75-6457-4398-9D0E-B00320580049.jpeg
095A515B-3768-4909-98C5-29604F700493.jpeg

Not many other animal photos, as most were far away and all I had was my old cell phone.

00795C1A-DD6D-47F1-AAD2-EED425760BF3.jpeg
35CEB551-0F4E-4DB4-8AF8-E56573E9F7F2.jpeg

We spent a day plus going through the museums in Cody… well worth it and highly recommend to anyone going through there.

Stopped at a Snake River headwater to brush up on that fine spotted strain of fish… I learn after a bit of trial and error that they wanted ants…

E9BEB071-3986-4C04-B650-AD291DD82176.jpegB5ED5888-8F58-4D35-963F-B55553F831C7.jpeg8D01BF8A-8B9B-4599-B200-114929FFEEFC.jpeg

…then on to the next drainage to catch that Bonneville…

B852A205-9A5E-4F8B-AE0F-0ACDCB6B33E6.jpeg9979B667-1ADA-4710-9741-DAF576562832.jpeg

Mission accomplished.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Congrats on the Bonneville! It sure looks like a beautiful area and sounds like a great, memorable trip. I've always wanted to go to Cody and check out the museums, especially the Cody Firearms Museum. I've also always been intrigued by and fascinated by Buffalo Bill Cody, William Frederick Cody.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Amazing Trip. Did you fish one of your Grangers? I would have swung partrige and orange and partridge and yellow soft hackles though the one riffle.

RCF

Life of the Party
Remembering previous memories and creating new one's is so important. Something you will always cherish.

And catching that elusive Bonneville trout is just a cherry on top.

You are very lucky in so many ways...

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Dave, I fished the W & M Granger 8642 Favorite for the Snake R Cutts (I’m addicted to that rod!).
That meadow was loaded with hoppers so that’s what I tied on first. Upstream casts were producing visible refusals. I think I caught just one fish on the hopper. I tied on a size 14 black ant and they nearly fought over it so I stuck with that. I’m sure that soft hackles would have worked but the upstream dries were too much fun.

I fished the 7’6” FE Thomas 4wt on the smaller stream for the Bonnevilles. Started out there with a hopper as well and caught a couple, until I saw a large trout turn away at the last moment in a nice swirl. I tied on a rolled muddler and bam, largest Bonneville I caught ate the old standby.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Congrats on the Bonneville! It sure looks like a beautiful area and sounds like a great, memorable trip. I've always wanted to go to Cody and check out the museums, especially the Cody Firearms Museum. I've also always been intrigued by and fascinated by Buffalo Bill Cody, William Frederick Cody.
Make a point to go however you can get there… and give yourself a couple of days to see everything. There are five truly great museums in one, truly worthwhile.

Ice report, Greg. I used to live in that area and don’t get back nearly enough. This summer it was for a 50th anniversary climb of the Grand Teton. Next time it will be to fish the Wyoming range.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Greg, thanks so much for posting your trip. Your dad would be pleased that his son is remembering him in something you both loved. My own dad recently passed and our times fishing together will always be one of my most treasured memories.

And catching amazing fish, spending time in wild, beautiful country, fishing bamboo rods...wow.