Taper for fishing small streamers and nymphs from a boat

Kado

Steelhead
I'm in the planning stages for a rod to use for nymphing and small streamers, maybe size 10-14 from a boat. Probably at least 8 feet I'm guessing. Probably also a three piece due to the length. Is a two piece better casting though? I've also heard arguments that a three piece casts better.
I've made a couple 6 wts I use for src and an 8 ft 5 wt that I'm pretty happy with but you guys seem to come up with really good ideas, and it's always fun to make something different.
Thanks for input,
Mark

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm in the planning stages for a rod to use for nymphing and small streamers, maybe size 10-14 from a boat. Probably at least 8 feet I'm guessing. Probably also a three piece due to the length. Is a two piece better casting though? I've also heard arguments that a three piece casts better.
I've made a couple 6 wts I use for src and an 8 ft 5 wt that I'm pretty happy with but you guys seem to come up with really good ideas, and it's always fun to make something different.
Thanks for input,
Mark
I've tried a handful of 8-1/2' bamboo rods looking for a rod that handles weighted nymphs, large dries, streamers and wind. I call it my "Yakima River" rod, but it would also handle lake fishing well too. These are all based on my own quirky casting and fishing tendencies, but briefly, I've tried...

8-1/2' Phillipson 5oz - in the ballpark but a little too slow

Heddon 8-1/2' 2f - even slower, undergunned

Granger 8-1/2' 8642 - the Wright McGill era is nearly a twin to the Phillipson and is close but a bit light. The earlier Goodwin Granger era 8642 is more of a light 5 wt and definitely not what you are looking for.

Leonard 66-1/2 - close but not quite there yet

8-1/2' Phillipson Dry Fly Special - A very good choice, a very versatile 6wt that feels good to cast, can punch large dries into wind and handle the heavier flies. But, I ended up selling it to buy...

8-1/2' Carlin LL 6 wt, hollow built. This is the one I'm sticking with. If you would like to come by sometime and cast it and measure it you'd be more than welcome.

Ron

Last edited:

Kado

Steelhead
Ron, thank you for both the info and the offer to measure the Carlin. I'm thinking of the Yak also. Is measuring the Carlin okay? I know measuring some rods to copy might be frowned upon.
I have also heard good things about the Phillipson.
Mark