NFR Storage Sheds

Non-fishing related

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Agree...
You can spend 6-12k once and store the stuff you don't use close to home, or 250 a month forever.
And the closer it is to home the better the chance you'll access those Beanie Babies...or their current analogs...cyrptocurrencies!

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I have and that is certainly an option but I also view it as somewhat of a challenge as I’m not an experienced builder. It does sound like a fun project though. This caught my attention while looking at DIY plans. It’s fancy and probably more than what I need as far as bells and whistles but it’s pretty dreamy IMO. Also looks to be one hell of a project 😂

Thanks for sharing that. It also lead to links for plans for a really nice workbench. I didn't know etsy had all that available.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
My pet rock collection appreciated so much and so fast I am still working...
;)
I bought on the Beanie Baby dip...and am gonna make a killing. It's all about timing.

And I keep my crypto wallet in my shed...under a bar of soap.

Last edited:

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Dave - I read this post last night and wondered how you were going to get a car into a 200 SF "shed" (I saw the word garage and that stuck in my mind). My friend Herb has assembled six or seven "kit" sheds, four on his property up in the wet hills of Hood Canal's North Shore. They've been there for years. I think one plus for his sheds is they have steel roofs that shed needles and leaves in the rain. They're unheated, uninsulated and serve as sleeping quarters for family members. He also assembled one in the Aeneas Valley, snow country.

Good luck.

Ps. A friend of mine has a kit cabin that looks somewhat like the link you posted, he built it up in the mountains near the Chewuck River. It's very nice.
Thanks Buzzy. I’m not actually planning on parking a car in the shed. It will be storage and a workshop. My current situation is less than ideal. Right now I’m storing a broken down framed pontoon boat, my float tube and the frameless pontoon in my spare bedroom closet along with all of my other outdoor gear. I can’t wait to get some more space! 😁

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Dave,

Evan had a shed built at his house last year that is about the size you're limited to. Check that out somewhere on this site. At 200 sq ft, a DIY is pretty easy and straight forward. Do you want it on a concrete slab? Or posts and piers? Dirt or gravel floor? A 10' x 20' could give you a smallish one car garage with storage on the sides and end for smallish stuff. Another thought is that with 200 sq ft, you might be able to build a large overhang on one side to store some things outside but out of the rain.
I’m leaning towards a gravel pad and possibly built on skids but I’m not sure yet. Ideally I will keep it critter proof underneath. The shed I tore down when I bought the place had a possum living underneath it. While possums don’t bother me I know they like to excavate a bit and will drag in nesting material. I’d rather avoid that or even worse raccoons.

I definitely want an overhang but that might be a separate addition, possibly a slanted roof pergola adjacent to the shed but not attached. I think an addition to the shed counts towards the total square footage but I’m not certain. I’d like to avoid permitting if possible.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
If you're a man you build a shed. Mine is 12' x 16' with 6' double doors and 9' ceiling. I considered a roll up door but 99% of the time I only use the operable half of the 6' swing doors. Insulated, rocked and has an electric heater in there that I keep set at 42 so nothing freezes.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
As a DIYer I have lots of experience and capabilities.

I built a wood shed years ago. I choose to not use a kit because the walls were not tall enough - 6' and the door height was 5'. I am 6'4" and there was no way I was going to bonk my head every time I went in. Kit walls were 24" on center and I wanted 16" on center. It was easy and quick to design a configuration so that it would fit my needs. It was within county specs for size and height so no permit required. But a couple of years later it did appear on my county assessment and I was taxed on it. How did they know? I found out later the septic tank pumping business reports the structures because it reduces the area available for a backup septic field. BTW - if you build it on pier blocks you might end up with a family of racoons living under it. Please do not ask how I know...

This fall I built a steel 2-car carport using a kit from Versatube. It is 20' x 18'. The kit was complete and easy to get the pieces out. I spec'd it out to withstand 110mph winds and 30lbs of snow per square foot. Also made sure it was below the 10' height requirement and 10' away from other structures. (exceeds all county requirements). The instructions were simple but lacking. Youtube videos showed it was easy to do too. Versatube says it is DIY. Waaay harder than I ever envisioned. Making and keeping it square was ridiculous. It had to be square and level due to interlocking roof panels. Over 1700 self tapping screws ---> OMG!. Had to be a tall contortionist to get some of the screws in on the roof. Weighed over 1500 pounds. It was like working out at the gym everyday for hours. I will never build one as a DIY again. The building department in the county I live in sucks. So I built it without a permit and will ask for forgiveness later if I have to...

My family and I love the finished products. They do exactly what was needed. I contemplated running power to them but decided against it due to county coordination. I ended up getting battery powered, motion detection, outdoor security cameras. I hooked them up to my security system with wifi. When activated picture/video sent to my system. The lights are bright. The rechargeable batteries last about 3 months before recharging is necessary. Best decision I have made in a long, long time.

Edited to correct specs on carport.
I have given some thought to a Versatube parking structure for the backyard and I see a lot of them around. Did you have help with the layout and getting pieces hoisted or were you doing this solo?

RCF

Life of the Party
I have given some thought to a Versatube parking structure for the backyard and I see a lot of them around. Did you have help with the layout and getting pieces hoisted or were you doing this solo?

I had help (2 other people) with the frame with initial making the frame and truss support structure, installing, leveling and squaring it up. Took about a day to do that. Needed lots more straps and stakes to keep it square and perpendicular. Roof panels were 25# each - sometimes I had help, sometimes not, getting them up there. Probably the hardest part was screwing the roof down. 10' in the air on a ladder, stretching out over the roof panel to install a screw was not enjoyable - sometimes over 4'+ out. Reaching out that far made it hard to put good pressure on the drill. For the roof I found it easier and faster to drill the holes for the screws and then screwing them in than using the self-tapping 'feature' of the screws. I went thru 8 carbide tipped drill bits...

Last edited:

RCF

Life of the Party
.......<learning a lot as I read>....

Adding this to help:

On a wood shed the soffit vent holes are covered usually with a light weight screen material. Also cover them with 1/4" x 1/4" square wire mesh. Easier to do that before they are in-place. The light weight screen is great at keeping bugs out. The light weight screen will be eaten through by squirrels/rodents and poked through by flickers rather quickly.

Last edited: