Squid jigging on a fly rod?

MountainTrout

Just Hatched
Does anyone have suggestions for fly rod weight/length for squid jigging? 4wt? (Yes I'll be using a spinning reel.) I was hoping to use something I already own instead of buying a spinning rod just for squid.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
You might be wise just to go buy an inexpensive spinning rod. I think 4wt would be too soft to jig a squid jig.

Divad

Whitefish
Get a beau mac squid jig with the swivel at the bottom for weight adjustment if using the fly rod.

Ive used little dock demon rods doing that with success at 1/8-1/4oz.

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Does anyone have suggestions for fly rod weight/length for squid jigging? 4wt? (Yes I'll be using a spinning reel.) I was hoping to use something I already own instead of buying a spinning rod just for squid.
My cousin enjoys using a 5wt glass fly rod for squid. Just use what you have. It's squidding. No need to make it complicated.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I’ve seen guys down at the W Seattle Ferry Terminal pier jigging squid on a fly rod… mounted with a spinning reel. I think just about anything would do?

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I typically fish pretty heavy jigs because of the current and wind on the boat so I upped up to and 8 or even higher wts. I've got a couple so far but the hardest thing is finding a good spinning reel to fit in the reel seat of my fly rods

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I’ve caught squid beach fishing for SRC’s/ rezzies on white bait fish patterns.....trying to hump my fly! But a 4-5 wt rod would work on piers since you don’t have to cast and they don’t fight.....but very tasty!

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I use a 5wt off the piers. Works well. As suggested above I think a 4wt would not be enough to handle the job.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I’ve caught squid beach fishing for SRC’s/ rezzies on white bait fish patterns.....trying to hump my fly! But a 4-5 wt rod would work on piers since you don’t have to cast and they don’t fight.....but very tasty!
I was wondering if a white squid pattern would work for those guys. The one and only time I caught squid, was when we were jigging for salmon, and there was a school of them near the bottom. No salmon that day, but we did bring home some squid. Best calamari ever,... when fresh.

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
My dad use to squid jig off the Des Moines pier during winter. He was pretty good at it, the one time I went down to check it out....way too busy and they don’t put up any fight. But very tasty fresh!

Last edited:

booner05

Just Hatched
I use my carbon 9' 5wt with a small spinning reel and weighted jigs off the pier. Works well when squid are around!

flybill

Life of the Party
When I worked at Orvis, back in the day.. I had a few customers come in to buy 6wt or 7wt rods for squid jigging. They liked the action of the fly rods better than conventional gear. At least one or two of them bought the Helios 3's. One guy came back after a trip or two and returned the H3 for an Access.. I've considered doing some squid jigging with my 6wt or my Helios prototype switch rod , closer to a 5wt and 10'3".. since it had a broken tip when I got, that I repaired by shortening it and putting a new tip on!! Love it for sea run cutthroat trout as well!

Shad

Life of the Party
Interesting topic. When I first read the title, my first thought was "Why?"

Looks like it's a thing? Who knew? (Well, I guess some of you folks knew...).