Spice blends

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sorry for the thread drift but popcorn is made for Old Bay. Which is a spice blend so technically on track? This may give a way where I grew up too…

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I don't know shit about these types of blends. But I love hearing about it! Most of what I do are BBQ blends for ribs & even then it's mostly add as I go (taste, add, taste, add, etc...

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Cleaned the thread up due to an unnecessary pivot. Let's keep on topic with the good info here.

Garam Masala is one of my favorite things in my kitchen.
Thanks for nipping that in the bud Evan. One of the horrors of the old board was the pages and pages of political rancor it generated-all of which solved nothing. Like having an asshole, each of us also has a political opinion. Neither needs to be on public display.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
We use a fair amount of Garam Masala around the house. I'm not a huge Five Spice fan, but it has its place. Za'atar I admit I don't think I've ever used.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
We use a fair amount of Garam Masala around the house. I'm not a huge Five Spice fan, but it has its place. Za'atar I admit I don't think I've ever used.
I’m with you on being very limited about where I would want to use Five Spice, and more likely to use Garam Masala. I guess I never knew the difference comes down to star anise (5) vs cardamom (garam), until @Roper ’s chart. Za’atar is great, especially on eggs, but I put salt in mine. How American of me.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Sorry for the thread drift but popcorn is made for Old Bay. Which is a spice blend so technically on track? This may give a way where I grew up too…
If you'd been hanging out around Suquamish fishing pier in the mid 80's and having supper at Bomi and Roshan's house with the catches of the day cooked up, perhaps garam masala might flavor your popcorn......... I like Old Bay, might substitute that for popcorn tonight.