Sometimes it happens

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well, I was all excited to fish today since I had the day off. I actually have the whole week off (starting a new gig on Monday), but today looked like the least miserable day to be outside.
Steelhead? Hmm, the river I had luck on last week was high. Yeah, I know...all the "normal" steelhead rivers are super low right now. Naw, not steelhead.
SRC? Hmm, nope. Just couldn't get hyped enough about it. So this left trout. Oh, I know! I'll go catch big-ass bows (that don't fight very hard) at Cady and probably have the lake to myself. Well, I was definitely by myself...out on the road. Here's what the southern entrance looked like-
20221206_104115_HDR.jpg

Probably 2 1/2 feet at the crest of the plowed stuff, but an honest 10" anywhere in the open. The next entrance was even worse. And just over the hill towards Dewatto Bay they still have over a foot! It must have been 15 or 16" before melting down. Crazy.
Also...the lake probably had ice and snow on it. Here's Tee Lake, just down the road, where there was slightly less snow.
20221206_104429.jpg

So Cady was NOT an option. Ok, let's go see how the bay looks. The bay was gorgeous. Nice and calm, tide starting to come in. No more crazy salmon causing chaos. Cool, let's go out in the Commander and catch some SRCs. Maybe get lucky with some rezzies.
Well, there was literally no place to park my damn truck. The road was plowed just enough to possibly allow 2 cars past each other, but lots of stretches where it would be single file. I found 1 spot that might be good enough, but the sheriff could easily ticket me for parking on the road (literally on the road) and I wouldn't blame him (or her).

And, while I was sitting there contemplating my stoke level a couple of rednecks drove by in an old Ford F250 with plastic for a back window. Not that big of deal, but they literally stared at me as they went by and KEPT staring as they drove away. Maybe they thought I needed help? Naw, I grew up in the sticks. I'm from a redneck family. I know that look. Unfortunately, it's the look of opportunity.

I didn't feel like blowing up the Commander and then packing it with all 3 rods I brought along with everything else (pumps, fish finder, battery) I brought for Cady just so Joe & Billy Bob would have nothing to rob out of my truck AFTER they broke a window. So I bailed.

Did I stop at Purdy on the way home to catch a SRC that half of Tacoma has C&R'd? Nope, just couldn't muster it after that.

So my 1 hour of packing and getting the rods ready last night and over 2 hours round-trip driving to Cady was a total bust. No line cast today. I haven't struck out like that in quite some time.

If I had a damn duck dog I could've gone hunting. Ugh...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Stacy - you gave it a try and spent time looking. Too bad about Joe n Billy Bob (they could be transplants from Sequim - Sequimites?). I'd been wondering about how much snow that area got. Camp Runamuck won't be accessible for awhile.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Stacy - you gave it a try and spent time looking. Too bad about Joe n Billy Bob (they could be transplants from Sequim - Sequimites?). I'd been wondering about how much snow that area got. Camp Runamuck won't be accessible for awhile.
I didn't even think about them having so much snow. I figured there might be a couple inches, but no clue they got hit so hard. I saw people still digging out their driveways!

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I didn't even think about them having so much snow. I figured there might be a couple inches, but no clue they got hit so hard. I saw people still digging out their driveways!
Ditto, that's crazy. Bummer you didn't get to hit the lake - always enjoy a day there. Even when the lake is acting fickle.
Good call bobbing out to dodge billy bob and his friends. I'm super cognizant of what I leave in my rig when I go fishing and I just wouldn't have had a good time knowing all that gear was just sitting in the rig.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I feel your pain, and loved your suggestion...
.View attachment 44165
Attaway! Nice haul man.
Yeah, my retriever passed away several years now and my wife is not too keen on having a dog right now. She's right, it would be a bit of a pain in the ass right now. Once I retire (4-6 years I hope!) I'm getting a damn gun dog! I have 3 nice, but very lonely, 12g shotguns just collecting dust. Not to mention all the dekes in my rafters. I miss the dog work a LOT.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I stopped by Purdy a couple days ago for lack of time to go further afield. The SRC are there, but they are SMART! Seeing is not catching for those fishies.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I stopped by Purdy a couple days ago for lack of time to go further afield. The SRC are there, but they are SMART! Seeing is not catching for those fishies.
Back in the "Zorn to Largent" days of Seahawk football, often I'd get (what's the word? frustrated (too soft)) angry with the game, grab my bootfoot waders and my only flyrod and head to Purdy and fish in front of Pearls By The Sea. I'm guessing in the early 1980's those trout (and once a coho) weren't as savvy as they are now.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Yeah, that beach probably gets hits more than any other these days. One of the reasons I wasn't stoked to get out and fish it. That beach has never appealed to me anyway so it was a definite no go during my sulking.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter

When they are being picky, slow retrieves deep, with olive flies has worked for me. I don’t fish Purdy much but will stop if it’s not crowded while making my SRC rounds through area beaches. It’s saved a day or two for me over the years.

Last edited:

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
When they are being picky, slow retrieves deep, with olive flies has worked for me. I don’t fish Purdy much but will stop if it’s not crowded while making my SRC rounds through area beaches. It’s saved a day or two for me over the years.
What worked for me a couple days ago was fast retrieving an overly ambitious blackmouth smolt, lol. Got a big old boil at the rod tip while pulling that guy in.

That inspired me to throw on a big dumb clouser, and I actually did get a hero cast right onto a jumping jumbo that grabbed on. Couldn’t keep it pinned though.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the report though! That's way more snow than I thought there would be there.