Smart trout......

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Ok, I’m getting older and less brain cells but.....I’ve been encountering smarter trout! I don’t know how many times I’m playing a fish then they’re gone, I think either broke off or “spit the hook” but nooo, I have no fly with a unbroken loop!?! :unsure: It’s happened on dries and wet flies.
All I can figure is that these fish were home schooled during Covid......can’t be me. And yes, the hook eye is closed.

Last edited:

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
The tippet is good....it’s not breaking, the loop knot is still intact......the only quick jerks are the fish!!

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Have you changed tippet brands recently?
Have you tried a different knot application?
Over the years I’ve found that not all tippet brands are consistent in their knot “set-ability”
Have you been on social media lately stating what great days of fishing you’ve had?
Inquiring fish want to know!

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
After 56+ years of fly fishing.....I’m baffled! But I guess the fish have to win sometime......I’d really like to count that fish in the positive column....because it’s still hooked but unfortunately not on my line anymore.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I have no fly with a unbroken loop!?! :unsure: It’s happened on dries and wet flies.
If I get you correctly, I've done that, sort of. Thought I threaded the hook eye on a muddler, tied a nice knot, pulled to test and the loop just slipped out of the deer hair somehow. Dumb fisherman.:)

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Stop tying the loop knot to the bend of the hook, thread the tippet through the eye of the hook 🤣

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you ever catch one of these trout, keep it alive. It is worth a fortune. It is a MAGIC TROUT! Able to pass a line through SOLID STEEL WIRE! You'll be famous!