Smallmouth Flies Advice Request

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I will be spending a week after Memorial Day on a Northern California lake that has a healthy population of SMB as well as a good trout fishery. Haven’t fished for them previously and looking forward to targeting them. I plan on using leech patterns, crawfish and maybe some clouser patterns if I can confirm presence of baitfish and type. I’ve seen posts on here about Ned type lures, seems like I could fish them on a sink line or even a floater with a long leader if fish are shallow. I realize they, Ned rigs, may be best fished on spinning tackle but not really wanting to carry an extra rod as I’ll likely have four fly rods rigged for trout as well as bass. Looking
for suggestions as to patterns and sizes for SMB as well as thoughts on fishing Ned rigs on fly rods.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Y
I will be spending a week after Memorial Day on a Northern California lake that has a healthy population of SMB as well as a good trout fishery. Haven’t fished for them previously and looking forward to targeting them. I plan on using leech patterns, crawfish and maybe some clouser patterns if I can confirm presence of baitfish and type. I’ve seen posts on here about Ned type lures, seems like I could fish them on a sink line or even a floater with a long leader if fish are shallow. I realize they, Ned rigs, may be best fished on spinning tackle but not really wanting to carry an extra rod as I’ll likely have four fly rods rigged for trout as well as bass. Looking
for suggestions as to patterns and sizes for SMB as well as thoughts on fishing Ned rigs on fly rodrod
You need to talk to Corey Williams. Fishing manager at the Redding Sportsman’s Warehouse store..

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
for suggestions as to patterns and sizes for SMB as well as thoughts on fishing Ned rigs on fly rods.
They look up, sometimes. I used to fish a Hex hatch on a smallmouth pond in Vermont, after dark with big dry flies. It was magical.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I am no smallmouth fisherman, but a smallmouth guide did speak at my fly club's meeting many years ago. Basically, he wasn't too concerned by specific colors, but of course did like crawfish patterns. Most important was that every fly he had, had a small rattler tied into it.

Reactions: Zak

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Local knowledge will give you the best local advice...
1708657653904.png

Once you figure out the local forage....that'll be your answer.

I love fishing big baitfish patterns for our smallies in the Columbia but there are a lot of forage items that ARE baitfish there.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
They look up, sometimes. I used to fish a Hex hatch on a smallmouth pond in Vermont, after dark with big dry flies. It was magical.
Unfortunately this lake’s hex hatch occurs in July, a month or more after my trip. I might get lucky and catch them on the spawn, depends on snowpack melt timing.

Draketake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey Robert,

Have fun on your adventure.

Check out some you tube videos on NED Flies. I just got done tying a bunch. I think they are gonna work just fine and can be very fly rod friendly and very fly rod efficient.

I tied up some Raineys Rich's Ultimate Worm Flies and some Snake River Fly Company "Propoganda Worms" to name a few. Red's Fly Shop has a great video out on how to fish the Ultimate Worms.

Let us know how you do.

Bob

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Local knowledge will give you the best local advice...
View attachment 104389

Once you figure out the local forage....that'll be your answer.

I love fishing big baitfish patterns for our smallies in the Columbia but there are a lot of forage items that ARE baitfish there.
There are several other NorCal lakes that are well known for quality SMB, this one seems to be off the radar and those in the know are not very open about it, not a bad thing. I have some ideas about what’s there, with a week to figure it out I’m cautiously optimistic.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Can't wait for a report! That's so fun figuring this stuff out.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I did the same on a small lake in southern Maine with a hex hatch....never knew what was going to be on the other end of the line.....sometimes smallmouth....some quite large....sometimes trout....also surprisingly large. My buddy and I would have coordinate casting, as we quickly figured out two of us casting in the dark out of a 12 ft flatbottom boat didn't work so well! Loved that fishing.

Divad

Whitefish
I fish for them at the lake a fair bit in summer. Leeches and heavily weighted little crawdads work awesome.

One observation I noticed is that they would strike my sink 3 or sink 6 line at the loop connection. These were 1-2lb smb. I think a clear intermediate would be very useful.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
When I fished the upper Sac going into Lake Shasta my buddy did pretty well with smb on sculpzillas...I would imagine crawdads would work well too.

NWFFO

Just Hatched
Our crew at NWFFO is leading the way and guiding in Portland for warm water species including smallies, yes we still fish and love trout/steelhead, but smallies are a ton of fun.

Our go to flies are Leggy Boi’s, Fleein’ Cray, Feather Changers, Finesse Changers, and then an assortment of poppers. We love casting big flies for the big fish and do very well. If you want more details please feel free to call.

(503) 252-1529

Attachments

• IMG_2717.jpeg
    IMG_2717.jpeg
    509.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2638.jpeg
    IMG_2638.jpeg
    632.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2593.jpeg
    IMG_2593.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2570.jpeg
    IMG_2570.jpeg
    281.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Image 1-15-24 at 11.19 PM.jpeg
    Image 1-15-24 at 11.19 PM.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 26

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Steve Culton's Countermeasure fly was designed for smallmouth.

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you're lucky they may take poppers. I fished a lot for them in Eastern Oregon and have done well on divers and poppers when they are in the mood. Hanging a bugger or clouser off the popper works well too. If the fish are deep no popper and sinking line. It seems that getting the fly in front of the fish is the main thing