Small creeks

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Beautiful little creek and nice looking fish @rotato
Good to see @River Pig back on the scene.
SF

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Our small creek is not doing well at all. For several years it was almost unknown and Freestone and I fished it often and everywhere there was access that didn't require mountaineering skills. But then some dipshit wrote it up in a national magazine and the rush was on. Now some fly clubs are driving hundreds of miles hoping to experience the same thing that the dipshit glorified in his article. We all know of some water that a kiss and tell review in a major rag has demolished what was once a great fishery. Right now it is our turn to see a tiny creek that couldn't hold many fish to begin with besieged by more anglers than the water can support.

I fished it with Northern and Fishing Girl in June and it was surprisingly slow. I thought at the time that maybe we were just too early but Freestone and I fished it this past week and struggled to find fish in the usual holding water. Hiking in to the more difficult to reach areas we found footprints where we never saw signs of traffic before. I'm grateful for the years I got to fish it before the bigmouth got his few bucks to tell the world about it and leave it virtually fishless.

Great work asshole, you are the kind of idiot that would discover a vein of gold in the desert and rush home and post it on the nightly news. In WWII there was the slogan-"Loose Lips Sink Ships" admonishing people to abstain from blabbing about things that could damage the war effort. The new version of that is-"Loose Lips Kill Fish" and we are seeing it first hand.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Our small creek is not doing well at all. For several years it was almost unknown and Freestone and I fished it often and everywhere there was access that didn't require mountaineering skills. But then some dipshit wrote it up in a national magazine and the rush was on. Now some fly clubs are driving hundreds of miles hoping to experience the same thing that the dipshit glorified in his article. We all know of some water that a kiss and tell review in a major rag has demolished what was once a great fishery. Right now it is our turn to see a tiny creek that couldn't hold many fish to begin with besieged by more anglers than the water can support.

I fished it with Northern and Fishing Girl in June and it was surprisingly slow. I thought at the time that maybe we were just too early but Freestone and I fished it this past week and struggled to find fish in the usual holding water. Hiking in to the more difficult to reach areas we found footprints where we never saw signs of traffic before. I'm grateful for the years I got to fish it before the bigmouth got his few bucks to tell the world about it and leave it virtually fishless.

Great work asshole, you are the kind of idiot that would discover a vein of gold in the desert and rush home and post it on the nightly news. In WWII there was the slogan-"Loose Lips Sink Ships" admonishing people to abstain from blabbing about things that could damage the war effort. The new version of that is-"Loose Lips Kill Fish" and we are seeing it first hand.
That truly sucks. Hopefully they'll learn that it's a tough creek to fish, a very long drive, and it will eventually recede from memory. It's got plenty of fish holds in the 'techical mountaineering skills required' sections to replenish its population.

rotato

Steelhead
0BAF60B7-C220-40DB-A82D-3778AD6F4C48.jpegHeaded back to the local creek and I as happy to see it running well and cool. It’s pretty well covered with alder which allows the system to fish well on midsummer mornings. Of course the thick cover has its issues.

So I was playing a small but feisty cutt when it popped loose. The previously loaded tip flung the hopper and dropper towards the overhead alders. In an attempt to not have to rebuild the rig I slammed the rod tip down onto the water thus cramming the dropper back into the run. As I went to lift to recast this chunk held on for the ride. It’s funny that all my best fish happen on scrap casts. AB948852-995C-45E4-A5E4-91579FFE6023.jpeg
Cheers

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
It’s funny that all my best fish happen on scrap casts.

This has happened to me a lot.

A few years ago, I came to the realization that a good looking cast (ie. good turnover) is very often a bad fishing cast.

The dry fly leader that I use these days is so long and light that it is nearly impossible to get good turnover. A lot of people observing me would think that I am a struggling newbie that doesn’t know how to cast. However, that leader puts out so much slack that I get immaculate drifts.

When I take my dad fishing, we have noticed a hilarious phenomenon; he often catches a fish on his first few casts and then never again. I realized that his first few casts are “bad casts”, but fish well. As he gets accustomed to the rig that I have set up for him, his casts get “better” and he catches less fish.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
When I take my dad fishing, we have noticed a hilarious phenomenon; he often catches a fish on his first few casts and then never again. I realized that his first few casts are “bad casts”, but fish well. As he gets accustomed to the rig that I have set up for him, his casts get “better” and he catches less fish.
I've taken a "Dealing with Problem Situations " casting lesson at a FFI Fair where we were shown and practiced a pile cast, tuck cast, reach cast, curve cast, and others.
Anyway there are a few casts that once I "get" the "feel" of a rod I haven't casted in awhile that can be both accurate and are effective at dealing with currents.

Last edited: