Slow and Sear for Weber kettle

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Anyone using this to quickly convert your kettle to a smoker? It appears to be a genius invention that solves several problems about buying a dedicated smoker. And it is loved by it's users-it gets an 87% five star rating on Amazon. I order a lot of stuff from Amazon-512 orders since Jan 1, 2018-and I can't remember another product that got 96% 5 or 4 star reviews. It is a simple device that incorporates a water compartment that provides hours of steam during the smoking process. That is the slow component. The sear function concentrates the heat in a small area for a quick sear before or after cooking indirectly on other areas of the grill.

The original model is heavy duty made out of all welded stainless steel. A new model with a removable water tray adds another $30 to the cost. It is not as heavy duty as the old model but should appeal to those that assume spending more assures better performance. About $75 for the original, $105 for the new (and riveted!) model.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Ive- I use a DIY version with two fire bricks, a water pan, and foil. The fire bricks are set end to end to span the kettle and isolate the coals. The indirect side gets foil across the bottom grate to mostly seal the air flow and the water pan sits under the meat. I can really load up the charcoal and go 8+ hours at 250 before adding more.
21992633-ECB2-4D1C-A551-63F9E74AA462.jpeg

After loading in the charcoal I light 10 coals to start and set them in the lower corner. Within 30 minutes I have the cooking side up to 225 and then I check it every 15-30 minutes to adjust air as needed to keep it in my target range. About 3 hours in I have to really close things down to minimum air flow but then it coasts at 250 for several more hours.

dep

Steelhead
while I have a Traeger, I still have my kettle and may have to try this.
Actually, once I get a few salmon, I'll try both side by side.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
while I have a Traeger, I still have my kettle and may have to try this.
Actually, once I get a few salmon, I'll try both side by side.
Same here. I use both as well as a portable table top gas grill for trips. One thing I like to do is season and smoke flatiron steaks in the Traeger. I vacuum seal and freeze them. When I cook them at camp on the gas grill, they have a nice smoke flavor.

claude

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Ive- I use a DIY version with two fire bricks, a water pan, and foil. The fire bricks are set end to end to span the kettle and isolate the coals. The indirect side gets foil across the bottom grate to mostly seal the air flow and the water pan sits under the meat. I can really load up the charcoal and go 8+ hours at 250 before adding more.
View attachment 25059

After loading in the charcoal I light 10 coals to start and set them in the lower corner. Within 30 minutes I have the cooking side up to 225 and then I check it every 15-30 minutes to adjust air as needed to keep it in my target range. About 3 hours in I have to really close things down to minimum air flow but then it coasts at 250 for several more hours.
I use a Weber Kettle with the same setup and have had great results. I've done everything from trout and salmon to a large turkey.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
The original Slow and Sear is a great tool, holds plenty of water if that's what you're into, and yes, it makes your kettle into a fine (and properly sized) smoker. I've been using a Smokenator 1000 for about 10 years now, predates the S&S but works on the same principle: Minion method for coals, a bit of water, and smoke with temp control by vent control. After a couple of runs you'll get it down. The brick method, or other time tested methods of shoving coals to the side all work pretty well, but the baffles in the S&S and Smokenator help out and keep coals in their place a bit better in my opinion. I've done everything from whole turkeys to fish to homemade sausages to wings to cheese. Easy peasy. Not quite as easy as the new pellet grills, but I think the charcoal and wood smoke flavor is better by far.

amazingribs.com has reviews for both units.

Good luck!