Simms roll top waist pack

Russell

Steelhead
Putting everything together for a steelhead trip to the trinity and noticed my simms roll top waist pack is coming apart at the seems. Figured I'd get more than 20yrs out of this thing.
😂
What's the latest and greatest these days. Sagebrush still?
simms rt.jpg

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Funny and a timely thread…my 20 year old Fish Pond boat bag is wearing a bit thin. Looking at the Patagonia 40L Disperser Roll Top back back….any input or reviews. Think it came out in 2021 so not a lot of mileage on these but roll top has never been an issue for me but a bad zipper sucks.

Last edited:

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Got over 15 years on a Sagebrush fanny pack carrying either cameras, fishing stuff, lunches, extra clothes or a combination thereof. Couldn't ask it to do much more and I have taken the big swim with it upon occasion and kept everything dry. Perhaps they now offer a bit larger option but that would be the only thing I would change to carry more clothes in the winter.

Divad

Whitefish
I have been eyeing the Orvis model roll top and the Loop. The Loop has a robust waist strap that can be removed which might be my deciding factor.

Loop weighs 2.9lbs and Orvis at 1.9lbs.
806282F3-7B56-4DFE-802F-0A2207169D2F.jpeg
23B72D39-8931-4F08-B036-A2E5D320571E.jpeg
1126AE20-B270-44CB-B31D-8A9F611E2FDC.jpeg

stillreleasing

Smolt
Forum Supporter
OPST makes the exact same pack as the old Simms roll top and it is one of the more reasonable waterproof packs out there. I blew the seams on the same Simms pack and after inquiring with them about their warrantee I am no longer a customer.

I moved on to fishpond products as they seem to take more abuse than i can dish out. The old style waterproof zippers were a bit of a bear to break in and the new style can be a little tough to finish the seal, but without a doubt more convenient than a roll top - just requires a double check to make sure you finished the zip.

I am curious about the knock off fishponds and there are only 2 things i can think of that differ from the real product - 1-the guarantee. They stand behind their product as well as anyone in the industry. And 2 (and this is an assumption)-probably the zipper. If there is any where a knock off could easily cut a cost or corner, that would be my guess.

Last edited:

Russell

Steelhead
I saw the opst pack and looks like I probably can get one from the red shed. I do trust roll tops.
The sagebrush seems to be the better zipper like dry suits I’ve used and supports small us business.

Russell

Steelhead
Funny and a timely thread…my 20 year old Fish Pond boat bag is wearing a bit thin. Looking at the Patagonia 40L Disperser Roll Top back back….any input or reviews. Think it came out in 2021 so not a lot of mileage on these but roll top has never been an issue for me but a bad zipper sucks.
I have a Seattle sports roll top pack I’ve used for rafting for years that is great. Not high name dollar

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Ortlieb makes bike focused stuff, but they have pretty tough waterproof backpacks, and they are cheaper than patagonia or simms, they pop up on sierra trading post from time to time.