Siberian Shrimp Patterns Please

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Those look great, the colors are right on. Some are white/clear and some have that orange, even more than the one I show in the photos. I saw in the Spawnfly videos they use a scud back. What did you use?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Those look great, the colors are right on. Some are white/clear and some have that orange, even more than the one I show in the photos. I saw in the Spawnfly videos they use a scud back. What did you use?
2mm silicone sheet from Amazon.

I’ll put together a SBS if you want.

Last edited:

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
I'm late to the party on this invasive shrimp that @RichS brought it to my attention last week. My mind immediately went two ways: how do I tie an imitation for them and can we eat them. On the fishing aspect I read the study @Cabezon shared in his post and one line jumped out at me in the Abstract: "The current use of deep habitats by prawns likely makes them unavailable to most predators in the reservoir." However, I read an article in the Union-Bulletin that mentioned bass and walleye being packed with them. If @Tom Butler is catching them in his crawdad traps, I'm thinking they are readily available to predators. Gonna try twisting up some facsimile to try on those predators and Snake River steelhead.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'm late to the party on this invasive shrimp that @RichS brought it to my attention last week. My mind immediately went two ways: how do I tie an imitation for them and can we eat them. On the fishing aspect I read the study @Cabezon shared in his post and one line jumped out at me in the Abstract: "The current use of deep habitats by prawns likely makes them unavailable to most predators in the reservoir." However, I read an article in the Union-Bulletin that mentioned bass and walleye being packed with them. If @Tom Butler is catching them in his crawdad traps, I'm thinking they are readily available to predators. Gonna try twisting up some facsimile to try on those predators and Snake River steelhead.
I read that part about depth too, and our traps were on the marina dock, so 10' maybe. If they come up in the dark and cloudy days and go back down that would make sense. I figure if the fish are used to them they should eat one when they see it. I'm just trying to find time to get back. With kids practices and games and other stuff kinda hard to schedule right now.

Steve Vaughn

Still learning
Forum Supporter
Still not quite there but getting closer. The colors are kind of washed out in this photo but might need to add some darker tones. Maybe some marker to the over body. I am happy with the eyes. Cut off two beads from a black bead chain. Cut a 4-inch section of 25 lbs mono (0.025"). Put a drop of superglue on a piece of paper and dip one end of the mono in the glue and insert it into the open hole of one of the beads. After that sets up do the same with the other end of the mono into the open hole of the other bead. When both are set up cut the mono in half and clip the bead chain eyes apart. Apply UV resin to make shiny, bulbous eyes. Not sure if the bead chain in the front is enough weight to make the fly ride right.

Hook: Mustad 3366, #1 overall length ~2.5"
Thread: Flymaster Plus white
Weight: Silver bead chain
Body: Tan Ice Dub Chenille
Eyes: See above
Feelers/legs: Wood duck dyed mallard flank
Over body: Tan craft fur
k66felom.png