Sheridan Lake BC Rookie

Booster

Freshly Spawned
Anyone willing to share information that might help a first-time visitor to Sheridan Lake BC- camping, fishing, et al?
Many thanks in advance,

Jonnytutu

Steelhead
look for the shoals to find the fish. if sight fishing use long leaders. regular fare will work, micro leeches, deer hair gomphus full sink), mayfly nymphs, halfbacks, etc. the main game though is deep water chironomids, look for the group of boats.

Fin

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
I fished there in the 60’s with my parents......big super clear lake! I remember accidentally dropping my dad’s clippers overboard and watching them sink in 20’+ all the way to the bottom.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I found the loons to be helpful when I fished it years ago. They told me what to look for as far as depth and areas to fish. Otherwise, it is a bigggg lake, do you have a power boat to fish it in? If not find an area and just dissect the hell out of it.

Last edited:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Booster, I went to Sheridan in the early 90's as a rookie and had beginners luck. I caught the biggest rainbow of my life, a 30''+ fish that was somewhere north of 15#. It took a size 14 caddis pupa in about 15' of water and made several jumps over my head in an old roundie Caddis tube. I had a 6wt rod and a System 1 click pawl reel with about 110 yards of backing. It took all of the line and miraculously stopped with 1 1/2 wraps of backing left on the reel!

I see the term "awesome" tossed around frequently, sometimes for relatively small fish. In almost 72 years of fly fishing I have hooked 3 genuinely awesome fish and this was one of them.

Chris Johnson

Steelhead
Wind is always a consideration on a big lake like Sheridan, lots of smaller lakes in the area with good fishing. Check out gofishbc.com for stocking reports.