Seeking a line recomendation for an 8' 5wt NFC Iconoglass rod

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I recently bought an 8' 5wt NFC Iconoglass rod built by @Wetswinger . Super nice rod! I currently have a Rio CQS 5wt line on it, and I like the way it casts with that line. Now, I want a floating line. I tried a Sage Light Line 5wt double taper on it, but it didn't feel right...I think it was too light (at least at shorter distances). Those are the only 5wt lines I have.

I like the Wulff TT lines and have one on my six weight RPL. I am considering a Wulff TT 5wt for this glass rod. The folks at Pacific Fly Fishers suggested an SA MPX (they don't carry the Wulff TT), but I know nothing about those lines.

I'd mostly use the floating line for fishing smaller rivers and streams (muddlers fished dry, X-caddis and similar upstream, then muddlers fushed wet or wet flies on the swing back downstream). But I might also use this setup for SRC from the beach with small poppers, sliders, or a cutthroat candy.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or recomendations on a floating line line for my 8' 5wt NFC Iconoglass rod.

Thanks!

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
If it were me, I’d try the sa infinity. Similar in weight to the mpx but a longer head

Reactions: Zak

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
If your Wulff TT 6# is a floater, put it on and give it a try. The Iconoglass can handle it. Anyway many people have discovered that using an over weight line when creek fishing works well. You can rarely get the entire head out of the rod on a creek, so the overweight line will load the rod at a shorter distance making short cast much more efficient..

PS...I use and like the Wulff lines a lot...Bjorn at the Fly Fisher in Lacey carries Wulff..

Creatch’r

Potential Spam
Forum Supporter
The SA infinity is a really awesome casting and fishing line, it has a longer rear taper which I think mends great and is more stable when carrying more line out of the rod tip. I have it in 4 and 5wt and just love casting it. The MPX is a shorter more powerful taper like the Rio Gold. Also a great line but I think it shines more on faster rods and fishing out of the boat but that’s my opinion. You can ask Jordan or Michael if they’ll let you cast your rod out back with one of their lines and decide for yourself. They have the SA lines on reels for demo, I believe I’ve cast both of them there before.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
If your Wulff TT 6# is a floater, put it on and give it a try. The Iconoglass can handle it. Anyway many people have discovered that using an over weight line when creek fishing works well. You can rarely get the entire head out of the rod on a creek, so the overweight line will load the rod at a shorter distance making short cast much more efficient..

PS...I use and like the Wulff lines a lot...Bjorn at the Fly Fisher in Lacey carries Wulff..
Thanks, I will give it a try!

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter

Not surprisingly, @Wetswinger is right! The 6wt Wulff TT casts just fine on the 5wt Iconoglass! Thanks again, @Wetswinger !

Zak

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Not surprisingly, @Wetswinger is right! The 6wt Wulff TT casts just fine on the 5wt Iconoglass! Thanks again, @Wetswinger !

Zak
If you decide you want the 5, I got this sitting. Just doesn't load my 5/6 glass or bamboo rod the way I want at the short distances I usually end up fishing. A bit of red staining on the back few feet near the backing. Although it reads like you have the Sage that feels that way already.

Attachments

• 20230713_192655.jpg
    20230713_192655.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 10

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
If you decide you want the 5, I got this sitting. Just doesn't load my 5/6 glass or bamboo rod the way I want at the short distances I usually end up fishing. A bit of red staining on the back few feet near the backing. Although it reads like you have the Sage that feels that way already.
Thanks,@Tom Butler ! I've been casting the 6wt TT off my dock today and it suits the rod at short and long (for me ~60') casts. Your 5wt WF would probably be better than my 5wt DT at short distances, but I'll try the 6wt line for a while.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Thanks,@Tom Butler ! I've been casting the 6wt TT off my dock today and it suits the rod at short and long (for me ~60') casts. Your 5wt WF would probably be better than my 5wt DT at short distances, but I'll try the 6wt line for a while.
I think that BB5F line is really a 7' front taper and 38' head, so it may not feel different than your DT until you get to the longer casts and shooting line. It sure gives a delicate presentation however. To me it doesn't feel right until ~25' is out on my rods.

Reactions: Zak