Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters

cedarslug

Steelhead
Hey all,

Do the number of stripping guides matter on a rod primarily used to the Sound? I have a few 6wts that I rotate back and forth, one with freshwater components, wood reel seat, and 1 stripping guide, and another with saltwater components and 2 stripping guides. From my understanding, the thinking is that the large stripping guides remove fly line friction during the cast. I'm looking at a few newer 6wts, and at this moment, I don't think I care enough whether there are 1 or 2 stripping guides. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Last edited:

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Personally, I prefer 2-3 on everything that's not for trout.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have a few 6 weights, all Sages. Only the Xi3 has two stripping guides. the others contain 1. I have used all of them in the salt. I really don't notice any difference. I think for the 6 weight and regarding the Puget Sound it doesn't matter, MHO.

Technically speaking there is only one stripping guide. Beyond that there are reduction guides and runners. Semantics aside, I think it depends on the reel size. Larger reels require bigger butt guides. The reduction guides are added to avoid sharp line angles. One or two is fine. I don't think it makes that much difference in terms of performance.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Larger surf type rods and saltwater rods will use oversized guides to allow small tangles and knots to pass through. With their line on a deck or in a basket, and a big fish on the line, you don't want a tangle ripping your guides off or braking your line. I use 2 for anything above a 6#. As a side note: stripping guides are built beefier to handle the stress of passing knots and, as Chinook Angler noted,, standing off the blank a little to transition the line angle from the reel. That's why spinning rod guides are so far off the rod, because the spool is also. Casting rod spool is closer to the rod, so the guides are also...