Salmon Jigging Rods

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’m trying to get into salmon gear fishing that doesn’t involve downriggers. What sort of setup should I look for for throwing jigs from a boat? Should I go for a fast action 7’? I’m considering picking up a 50-100 Power Pro rated Trevala, and using that as my Chinook Jigging rod, bottomfishjigging rod, and shallow water Halibut rod. But I don’t know if that would be overkill. Some folks suggest light tackle, taking out an 8-17lb Steelhead rod, but those rods tend to be rated up to 3/4oz or 1oz, wouldn’t rods like that loose sensitivity with the heavier 2-4oz jigs we use for Kings and deep water silvers? I like simplicity, and ideally want to cut down the gear in my boat to two rods for salmon trolling and mooching, two rods for jigging salmon and bottomfish, and two rods for deepwater bottomfish and tuna.

On the topic of that 9’ 8-17lb Steelhead rod, how much lead could I throw out on that thing before I snap a tip or loose sensitivity? I could experiment on my own but I love that rod and it would be a very expensive lesson so I figured it’s best to ask those who already learned better

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use a lamiglass black inshore rod. It moves the jig a lot but even that cause some issues with the hooks getting tangled. I fished with standard salmon gear too and they did fine. Most of the time the bites you get are pretty vicious so I wouldn't worry too much about sensitivity for bite detection