Rod Identification & Possible Repair

Islander

Life of the Party
My neighbor gave me a couple of cane rods that were being restored by someone he knew but never finished. The one is completely done and it has a sticker that says “Genuine Tonkin Cane” and in cursive writing “Lucky Boy #13”. The second one has no markings but needs a reel seat. I doubt these are high end rods or collectors items of any value, but was hoping maybe someone would have any info on the first one and how I would go about getting a reel seat installed on the second one.
Thanks, Steve
More info, they are both 3 piece, the Lucky Boy is 8’6” and the mystery rod is 9’.

Last edited:

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Congratulations on your acquisition. A few pictures might help figure out what the origin is of the rods you have now. A reel seat is about the easiest part of making a bamboo fly rod. you can measure the two other sections (they should be equal in length) and then measure the base section. This will give you a idea of the length of the reel seat you need to put on. Measure back to the end of the grip to figure out how long the total reel seat and hardware should be. Get one, and glue it on with Rod Bond, wait overnight and go fish the next day.

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Looks to be a simple job to add the reel seat and hardware. I'd suggest either a #1 slip ring and cap or down locking to keep things simple.