Roaming around central WA

Started a string of days off on a well known little lake:

1000008807-01.jpeg

Water was a crisp 36 degrees:

1000008811-01.jpeg

It wasn't a barn burner but it wasn't super slow either:
1000008802-01.jpeg

1000008809-01.jpeg

Caught fish on a variety of jigs utilizing my type 5. Good solid hits but I certainly had some first time out in the tube for the year rust.

A few days later I planned to hit multiple lakes in a day.

Lake one the regional biologist Mike really wanted me to scout it out as he hadn't heard much since a rehab. Sadly I didn't see or mark any fish.

Lake two was a short hike over. It has fallen on some low water years and I don't know how many trout it has in it. I caught two in two hours on a olive jig craw. Both fish very similar in size and shape.
1000008834-01.jpeg

The amount of birds right now in the seeps is impressive. Everything from trumpeter swans to shore birds. It's an incredible time of year to be out.
1000008832-01.jpeg

Lake three was a hike out and a short but nice warm drive over. I had around 2 more hours to fish.
1000008837-01.jpeg

Only had 1 strike but what an incredible beauty. This fish truely had it all. Took an orange craw jig.

1000008842-01.jpeg

When it jumped it just looked ridiculous:

1000008840-01.jpeg

I absolutely love lakes like this:
1000008849-01.jpeg

Yeaterday I wanted to stretch my legs before starting my work week. Headed to my favorite ditch. Got 4 fish with this one being the best.
1000008921-02.jpeg

Good luck to all the March 1st anglers headed out! My work schedule didn't allign with the opener this year so I wanted to get some time on the water when I could. Stay safe with the cold water everyone! 36 degree water temps are no joke! 🥶
Billy

Last edited:

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Those are some chunks - great stuff!!

cheers

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Well done!! (You forgot to mention that leaky waders and 36F water really do make it a challenge!)
What Mike ----^ says about the landscape, I never tire of seeing what Glacial Lake Missoula helped create. Great pictures and amazing fish.

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Started a string of days off on a well known little lake:

View attachment 105176

Water was a crisp 36 degrees:

View attachment 105174

It wasn't a barn burner but it wasn't super slow either:
View attachment 105173

View attachment 105171

Caught fish on a variety of jigs utilizing my type 5. Good solid hits but I certainly had some first time out in the tube for the year rust.

A few days later I planned to hit multiple lakes in a day.

Lake one the regional biologist Mike really wanted me to scout it out as he hadn't heard much since a rehab. Sadly I didn't see or mark any fish.

Lake two was a short hike over. It has fallen on some low water years and I don't know how many trout it has in it. I caught two in two hours on a olive jig craw. Both fish very similar in size and shape.
View attachment 105178

The amount of birds right now in the seeps is impressive. Everything from trumpeter swans to shore birds. It's an incredible time of year to be out.
View attachment 105175

Lake three was a hike out and a short but nice warm drive over. I had around 2 more hours to fish.
View attachment 105172

Only had 1 strike but what an incredible beauty. This fish truely had it all. Took an orange craw jig.

View attachment 105180

When it jumped it just looked ridiculous:

View attachment 105181

I absolutely love lakes like this:
View attachment 105179

Yeaterday I wanted to stretch my legs before starting my work week. Headed to my favorite ditch. Got 4 fish with this one being the best.
View attachment 105177

Good luck to all the March 1st anglers headed out! My work schedule didn't allign with the opener this year so I wanted to get some time on the water when I could. Stay safe with the cold water everyone! 36 degree water temps are no joke! 🥶
Billy
Looks like a grand adventure, and what a huge rainbow! I am so eager to get out on some lakes. Thanks for sharing the great pics!

dep

Steelhead
l'm living thru all these reports as I am gimped up with my achilles and won't be able to fish till April.
this report made me smile and envious.
what a slab Billy - nice work.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Well done!! (You forgot to mention that leaky waders and 36F water really do make it a challenge!)
What Mike ----^ says about the landscape, I never tire of seeing what Glacial Lake Missoula helped create. Great pictures and amazing fish.
Ice baths are all the rage on social media so I could have also titled this "activation of brown fat" 😁

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I used to think that trout went semi dormant in the winter, just this side of hibernation. I'm flat out amazed that they are feeding actively enough in 36 degree water for you to catch them. Makin' a believer outa' me!

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I used to think that trout went semi dormant in the winter, just this side of hibernation. I'm flat out amazed that they are feeding actively enough in 36 degree water for you to catch them. Makin' a believer outa' me!
I'm not sure the temp of the drainage ditch to be honest.

The big one I got from the lake fought pretty good with one big jump but had I got it in April or May I think it would have been a fight against my backing. I think the main thing or difference is feeding periods seem sporadic.