River Snorkeling with Cutthroat

Ron McNeal

Sound, Light, and Frequency...............
Forum Supporter
WOW!! Good for you for getting out and doing this. Thanks so much for posting your film. Best thing I've seen on PNWFF in a long time. Just beautiful. Comforting to know things like that still exist.

Jisabi

Steelhead
Awesome! I think I enjoy snorkeling the rivers almost as much as fishing. Sometimes I like to just ride the current and FLY through the run, other times grab a root or boulder and watch the show like you. The practice has really taught me where fish actually lie and where they don't. And as a bonus you can't get skunked snorkeling. You've just inspired me to get back out there.

Last edited:

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
That school seems to be hanging over the lighter colored bottom rather than the adjacent cobble. Is that bottom bedrock or sand?
The fish look in pretty good shape. Do you think that they are pre or post spawn?
Hard to tell, they didn't look too beat up, if you've seen some of the videos we have shared cutthroat fishing we find big pools of them like this through September in rivers down here! Not sure what they are doing but look good and healthy. The ones that look skinny and spawned out we usually catch during steelhead season in January and Feb while trying to catch steelhead!

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Awesome! I think I enjoy snorkeling the rivers almost as much as fishing. Sometimes I like to just ride the current just FLY through run, other times grab a root or boulder and watch the show like you. The practice has really taught me where fish actually lie and where they don't. And bonus you can't get skunked snorkeling. You've just inspired me to get back out there.
Love this! time to get the wet suit on! If you bring a go pro like I did be sure to share I would love to see it!

G_Smolt

Legend
In between assisting ADFG with steelhead index surveys and my own steelhead presence surveys the past 6 springs, I spend a lot of time in late April and May snorkeling in rivers. Some days it's face-freezingly cold, it's occasionally sketchy in terms of obstacles (and bears), but boy is it a hell of a lot of fun.
Certainly a great way to learn more about fish behavior and river hydrodynamics.

Floating down a low-gradient meadow section, after 3 miles of occasionally bumpy and log-jammy transport water.
MHSnorkel-23.JPG

The payoff
MirSH-23.jpgPeace, y'all

Shad

Life of the Party
I should start doing this in the summer, when it's too hot to sit around the house.

Can you theoretically "swim" entire floats in a day?

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
I should start doing this in the summer, when it's too hot to sit around the house.

Can you theoretically "swim" entire floats in a day?
As a kid we tuned the af nooksack every summer. Starting around 10, my brothers and I would just swim it. Faster than being in a tube, for what that's worth

Zak

Legend
As a kid/teenager I would slither down streams like a frog with just my face and the top of my head above the water, pulling myself along with my fingers. Man, that was fun!

I've always thought those whitewater swimmers with small floaty boards were cool, but it seems very dangerous.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
IMG_0660.JPG

I'm trying to find photos from bigger rivers but the little stuff is cool, too--a real workout. It's like doing a bunch of burpees while trying to control your breathing, not to mention the whole not bashing your head into a rock thing--while you're trying to find fish, too! And managing the constant, constant foggy mask from working hard in the cold water.
But seriously, be careful out there, y'all. Always have a buddy.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I wish we could post video. I have some cool clips, but here are screen grabs. This gorge is an exciting reach to swim and a magical place. There were some kings and trout (er, various classes of O. mykiss) in this gorge this time. And, those kings were adipose-clipped hatchery strays, far from any hatchery.IMG_0419.jpegIMG_0420.jpeg

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I do this in late fall right after the typical closure on my local rivers and free float down to collect bobbers and jigs. I have a bucket slowly accumulating Beau Macs :D its good fun, should bring a camera next year. I run into quite a few poachers doing it though...
There were so many jigs and spinners in this river... I could have loaded up!