RIO Versaleader sinking tapered leader?

Cliff

Steelhead
Hello, has anyone tried a RIO Versaleader sinking tapered leader before? I recently purchased a 7wt rod that I plan on using for bass and pinks. I have a 7wt floating line for it, but not a sinking line. I have an old Scientific Anglers "Concept" fly line in 7wt DT that I bought for cheap 15 years ago that went unused, and I was thinking of trying one of these Versaleaaders on it for bass. The RIO literature states "Make any floating line into a sink tip" by using this line". It's a 10ft section with loops on either end and it has various sink weights. You attach tippet to the tapered end. Doesn't anyone have experience with these? I thought it might be a good way of utilizing that old SA floater. Or maybe I should abandon the idea and look for a legitimate sink tip line? Thank you.

Herkileez

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use them all the time for pinks, coho, steelhead, etc. Much more versatile than a dedicated sink tip line, since you can vary the sink rate, with tips with sink rates from 1.5 to 7.0 ips. They may seem expensive up front, but well worth the ability to dial in your sink rate.

Cliff

Steelhead
I use them all the time for pinks, coho, steelhead, etc. Much more versatile than a dedicated sink tip line, since you can vary the sink rate, with tips with sink rates from 1.5 to 7.0 ips. They may seem expensive up front, but well worth the ability to dial in your sink rate.
Thanks, I think I'll go ahead and order one in the 4 ips rate. I appreciate your advice.