Right Way Spring Company Tacoma - Excellent service today for drift boat trailer springs

Greg Price

Steelhead
My 1972 Woodridge classic drift boat trailer had a hiccup.

The right springs were trying to slide apart to I the side after years of abuse running rough terrain.

I took it in for the guys to look at. Turns out I never had or the original spring Kwik clips rusted and/or fell off

They sold me 4 new kwick clips and gave excellent instructions on getting springs settled (hit em with a hammer) and installing clips. Total out the door with taxes less than 10 bucks. Fair enough 😉

If you have any vehicle or trailers with leaf springs, these are your guys with knowledge and parts. First time I visited the shop a guy was having custom hangers built for one of his dump truck fleet.

I will post pics after I get the clips installed. To my surprise, I was able to get the leafs lined up by banging on them HARD with a normal claw foot hammer.

Right Way Spring Company. 2545 Jefferson Ave. Tacoma WA. 98402. 253.272.4022

Greg Price

Steelhead
Many leaf springs have a depression or hole for clip to nestle into. Mine does not.

Guys at right way suggested pounding the round tab flat. Which I did. See flattened round tab in middle of clip.

They also suggested cutting a hose to give the clip some grip. I cut a bicycle tube as you can see in pic.

Divad

Whitefish
One of the employees there started my ‘93 Cummins in gear outside of the truck and it drove itself into a press. I was so saddened by the whole experience, the truck was my baby and built it up from a farm truck in college. Compound s300/4 turbos, built the nv4500 trans, Yukon rear locker, some bumpers I built, welded all the exterior trim holes and had a custom paint job etc.

Wasn’t the best experience after the incident with the shop he defaulted to having his insurance handle it all. Which I sort of understand but was absolute hell and be it such a big employee goof it didn’t sit right. Just sharing my experience.

680B0FF0-8EDA-4F59-99CB-261BE155BE8F.jpeg
(Becca: 1993-2017 rip)

Last edited:

Greg Price

Steelhead
You might want to check out those hubs as well. It looks like the grease seals have been shot for some time.
Yeah. When I replaced bearings I could not find proper size seals even at bearing specialty store. So I grease them often and try not to get bearings wet when loading/unloading. Put new bearings in about 1997. They still roll smooth. No grinding or roughness.

jannick

Freshly Spawned
It's great to hear that you were able to get your 1972 Woodridge classic drift boat trailer fixed for a reasonable price. It sounds like Right Way Spring Company is a great place to go for all things leaf springs. It's important to note that bearings without seals are more susceptible to dirt, dust, and moisture contamination. This can lead to premature wear and failure. However, if you're diligent about greasing them and keeping them dry, they can last for many years.

I'm also impressed that you were able to get the leafs lined up by banging on them with a hammer. I'm sure that was a lot of work, but it's great that it paid off.

Greg Price

Steelhead
If I remember correctly, I started with a small hammer and kept using heavier implimemts till the springs decided to straighten up.