Reel Soak Solution

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Treat it all as nothing sealed….. you’ll be better off. Lamson use to advertise that. But when/and /if switch spools then???
😉

Everything used in salt water deserves a rinse. Some things need more attention than others. Boat, motor, rods, reels, some clothing and footwear, even your sunglasses could use a rinse and wipe. Salt water is nasty, but great for cooking crab!! 😉

skyrise

Steelhead
I do the same as Stonefish. Take rod/reel in the shower with me. And of course giving the reel the once over in the kitchen sink with a soft tooth brush. and i wear the same waders & boots down to the river for a good rinse.

ABITNF

Steelhead
I’m sorry i thoughts it was about sealed drag reels? If the bearings are exposed then there is no sealed drag.
To clarify my comment. For coho on the beach rarely do I use any drag other than to maintain enough resistance when I pull to feed some line off the reel. I palm the reel when a fish runs.

Bagman

Steelhead
To clarify my comment. For coho on the beach rarely do I use any drag other than to maintain enough resistance when I pull to feed some line off the reel. I palm the reel when a fish runs.
I like you fight most of my coho with the rod tip and give or take line using my stripping hand and rod tip. Very few coho get to the reel. But when they do it’s nice to have. I use have only had 3 or 4 coho put me on the drag. I’m sorry i keep getting off the mark this is about cleaning a reel to slow down corrosion. I close my mouth.

ABITNF

Steelhead
I have lost coho and pinks and have seen others loose them by believing they had to be fought on the reel. It's easier to gain ground by stripping than reeling. Just have to watch for knots as a fish takes off. I've lost fish then too.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman

Use a small amount of gentle soap, like car wash detergent to get the salt off your reels/backing (periodic cleaning). Spraying the reel with SALT-X is important for maintenance after fishing, then rinse in tap water, and wipe dry.

JayB

Steelhead
Remember someone on the old forum saying they kept some dilute Salt-Away solution in a bucket, and just dipped the reel/handle in the solution and gave it a quick rinse. Sounded like it'd been working quite well for them for a long time....