Redington Tilt as trout spey reel...?

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey, I have a spare Redington Tilt reel. I was thinking about trying out some spey technique for trout. Knowing nothing about the rigs and line setups, i was wondering if anyone thought the Tilt would work as a spey reel, being fullframe, large arbor? It says it has a capacity of 100yds/20#, I don't know if that is enough for spey, how that correlates, since i've never outfitted a reel for this technique...

What do you think? yay or nay?

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
At the end of the day its still a line holder. Should work fine
Thats what i figured... I think capacity was my biggest concern. It'll hold line for sure, but will it hold enough? I wasn't sure if it would suffice, since i don't really know what the the formula/materials for building the rig are.

Divad

Whitefish
Yay! Good reel to start with too be it full frame. I’d start with a Skagit or scandi head and basic mono rig (90ft of Amnesia 30lb is my goto). If you go Skagit you’ll want a polyleader, I use predominantly a sink 3 w/ my floating head.

The Tilt will hold enough, especially mono, mono takes up less space than a coated fly line and the Tilt is a mid arbor if I remember. More than enough space in it.

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yay! Good reel to start with too be it full frame. I’d start with a Skagit or scandi head and basic mono rig (90ft of Amnesia 30lb is my goto). If you go Skagit you’ll want a polyleader, I use predominantly a sink 3 w/ my floating head.

The Tilt will hold enough, especially mono, mono takes up less space than a coated fly line and the Tilt is a mid arbor if I remember. More than enough space in it.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Thats what i was after. I have plenty of backing and mono around from my euro setups. time to hit the youtubes to understand all this skagit/scandi business...

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
capacity less important than reel weight to counter balance rod length.
well the Tilt has weights you can add to it. on my 11' 3wt euro rod, I have one of the three 1oz weights on it. When i find a cheap spey/switch rod, i guess i'll just compare weights to my euro rod?

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
well the Tilt has weights you can add to it. on my 11' 3wt euro rod, I have one of the three 1oz weights on it. When i find a cheap spey/switch rod, i guess i'll just compare weights to my euro rod?
isn't SH, switch or spey all the same....forefinger placed where it would normally be positioned when casting for a weight/balance scale.