Recommended IPS for stillwater sinking line?

bluelines

Freshly Spawned
I'm looking to purchase my first sinking line for lake fishing. I'm looking to fish with streamers, but mostly plan on using it for slow stripping in chironomids down deep (around 16'-20'). I'm a little lost as to which sink rate I should get for chironomid fishing. I'm looking at getting Rio's Fathom line (5 weight) which has sink rates of 3, 5, and 6 IPS. I was thinking at first about getting the 6 IPS, but I am worried that during a slow/very-slow strip in of the chironomid, the line would continue to sink towards the bottom. Is this nothing to worry about or should I go with a slower sink rate? What are the pros/cons of going with 3 IPS sink rate other than longer counting time for it to sink?

Chucker

Steelhead
Depends what you're fishing for! I use my type 7 when I want to be right on the bottom, especially with a bouyant fly, like a booby or floating dragon nymph.
Or if I'm targeting walleye with something jiggy

I think you kind of missed my point. The original question was about slow stripping chironomids, which you can’t do effectively with a type 7 (unless you are fishing vertically, which is something different altogether). I suspect that our definitions of what is a slow retrieve are different!

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Which floating line do you prefer for salty SRC to water patterns?

I’m using a Airflo Streamer float for topwater src, though I don’t fish topwater for them a lot.
SF

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
If I had to guess, at least 75% of all the lake caught fish for me, in the past 40+ years, were caught on a type 3 full sinking line. Hebgen, Henry's, Yellowstone,, Strawberry, Clark Canyon, etc..... A type 3 is a necessary starting point in every ones kit. IMHO!