Recommendations please - first time tropical saltwater, with adult family

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Seeking recommendations for a trip to a tropical saltwater fly fishing destination, targeting April-May 2024. Myself, wife, son and his wife, daughter and her husband. Two good casters, one newbie, but only PNW freshwater experience. Would love a place where my wife, daughter and daughter-in-law could enjoy relaxing/recreating while the guys fish for 2-3 days. So far we are looking at Belize, Bahamas, Key West. Numbers of fish more important than size or species (ie...prefer lots of smaller bones, baby tarpon, snook, redfish rather than permit or huge tarpon). Cost is a consideration. Beautiful lodging and/or location a major draw. A mix of guided flats and DIY would be ideal, but if no DIY is available that's OK. All inclusive resorts with guided fishing is worth considering, but so is an Airbnb on a cool beach with easy access to guided trip departure location. THANKS FOR YOUR IDEAS and EXPERIENCES!!!

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I’d go with Key West because when not being guided around the back country or chasing tarpon, it’s easy to hit golf course canals for baby tarpon and parks for bonefish.

I’d also bring a 7wt and spend some time in the Everglades and canals if you can swing it. My fly fishing kid had a blast fishing the canals and Everglades, and it’s an easy diy way to get in to a lot of fish. Tie a couple of rope flies, and have fun with alligator gar, too.

Quite easy to get into fish every day, even if all you have is an hour or two here or there.

Edit: “alligator get” should have been “alligator gar”. Stupid autocorrect.

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
Seeking recommendations for a trip to a tropical saltwater fly fishing destination, targeting April-May 2024. Myself, wife, son and his wife, daughter and her husband. Two good casters, one newbie, but only PNW freshwater experience. Would love a place where my wife, daughter and daughter-in-law could enjoy relaxing/recreating while the guys fish for 2-3 days. So far we are looking at Belize, Bahamas, Key West. Numbers of fish more important than size or species (ie...prefer lots of smaller bones, baby tarpon, snook, redfish rather than permit or huge tarpon). Cost is a consideration. Beautiful lodging and/or location a major draw. A mix of guided flats and DIY would be ideal, but if no DIY is available that's OK. All inclusive resorts with guided fishing is worth considering, but so is an Airbnb on a cool beach with easy access to guided trip departure location. THANKS FOR YOUR IDEAS and EXPERIENCES!!!
Replying just for the alerts. I'd love to do what you are planning!

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm planning on Belize, either El Pescador or one of a few other lodges that have been recommended..
Bill, I saw the website for El Pescador and it looks awesome, if maybe a bit pricey. Definitely worth considering! Turneffe also looks unbelievable.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’d go with Key West because when not being guided around the back country or chasing tarpon, it’s easy to hit golf course canals for baby tarpon and parks for bonefish.

I’d also bring a 7wt and spend some time in the Everglades and canals if you can swing it. My fly fishing kid had a blast fishing the canals and Everglades, and it’s an easy diy way to get in to a lot of fish. Tie a couple of rope flies, and have fun with alligator gar, too.

Quite easy to get into fish every day, even if all you have is an hour or two here or there.

Edit: “alligator get” should have been “alligator gar”. Stupid autocorrect.
Do you fish from Key West itself? Can you get to the canals using golf carts from your Airbnb? Do the guided trips catch many fish or is Key West mainly a trophy tarpon fishery? Sorry for all the newbie questions! My son and his wife actually went to Key West for their honeymoon and thought the area was great, so if the fishing is fun and can be a mix of guided and DIY it might be perfect.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Do you fish from Key West itself? Can you get to the canals using golf carts from your Airbnb? Do the guided trips catch many fish or is Key West mainly a trophy tarpon fishery? Sorry for all the newbie questions! My son and his wife actually went to Key West for their honeymoon and thought the area was great, so if the fishing is fun and can be a mix of guided and DIY it might be perfect.
1. Yes, both in the salt and in the mangroves. Stock Island is also good.

2. I would imagine so, but they're also walkable. College Road and Government Roads are worth checking out.

3. One my most recent KW guided trip in late April I caught Goliath grouper, Spanish mackerel, a barracuda, half a barracuda and an entire lemon shark, several bonefish, and a couple of tarpon.

That same trip I diy caught a bunch of fish I don't know the names of, bone fish, and baby tarpon. Docks at night can also be a lot of fun, especially if they've got lights that shine into the water.

I can't recommend guide Brandon Cyr enough, though if you've got a non-fly angler Chris Berglund is cool because he is happy and equipped to mix it up with spinning gear.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Bill, I saw the website for El Pescador and it looks awesome, if maybe a bit pricey. Definitely worth considering! Turneffe also looks unbelievable.
Your assessment of Turneffe is spot on. We used to take couples trips there. The fishing can be as technical or non-technical as you wish. The ladies who were not serious anglers could quite easily cast to schools of mudding bones and be rewarded anytime the cast came close to those fish that were not at all spooky. The single tailers require stealth and accurate presentations. The snorkeling is spectacular and the lodge extremely comfortable. It is sited on the highest windward point on the archipelago, the same location chosen by Mayan fishermen centuries ago due to the cooling breezes that keep the evening insects at bay. May well be the prettiest unspoiled lodge location we routinely traveled to and the multitude of angling choices is extensive and varied. Not a DYI opportunity but you can wade flats or fish from a poled skiff. Bones, permit and baby tarpon are the main draw on the flats but there is also reef fishing for the non-fly angler if you wish. Really enjoyed going to Turneffe.