Questions: Sinking Lines for deeper water Puget Sound Coho from the Boat

Divad

Whitefish
If you’re mostly trolling these do you really need shooting head variants with new age tapers and slick unicorn coatings? Why not go with a wetcel, mainstream or other basic sinking line?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
If you’re mostly trolling these do you really need shooting head variants with new age tapers and slick unicorn coatings? Why not go with a wetcel, mainstream or other basic sinking line?
Yeah, this, or even for limited casting, too. Or, now that it’s a little clearer what @Kashf is planning, you could do the homemade super sinking shooting head of say 17’ - 25’ of T-17 to T-21 depending on what you can get your hands on, looped to running line of your choice. Adjust to your rod’s ability to pick it all up and sling it. I’ve tried this and it does work and get down deep.

Divad

Whitefish
Yeah, this, or even for limited casting, too. Or, now that it’s a little clearer what @Kashf is planning, you could do the homemade super sinking shooting head of say 17’ - 25’ of T-17 to T-21 depending on what you can get your hands on, looped to running line of your choice. Adjust to your rod’s ability to pick it all up and sling it. I’ve tried this and it does work and get down deep.
Ooo that sounds spicy! Nab some t6 running line off a fly line and make your own head from the t-17 🤘 now that would get down nicely into the 30-40ft depth you mentioned.

I knew I kept the 60ft of s6 5wt running line for a reason 😁

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Ooo that sounds spicy! Nab some t6 running line off a fly line and make your own head from the t-17 🤘 now that would get down nicely into the 30-40ft depth you mentioned.

I knew I kept the 60ft of s6 5wt running line for a reason 😁
It’ll even drag an intermediate running line down hella deep.

Divad

Whitefish
ah, so you'll regret it when you break off with the tippet.... :LOL:

full disclosure, never fished for those guys up there....
I’ll definitely get a good laugh 😁 I put chum and kings on 14lb sunline fc and landed them no prob. 90% of the coho was on it too.

Hell you can’t retain the kings most of the time anywho if it does happen. I look um square in the eye and give them a big lick to assert dominance before releasing.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Really good knowledge to have, thank you. If I’m fishing down to around 40ft deep, will a type 3 be enough? I’m not going to be doing very much of the traditional “cast to shoreline” fly fishing that we do for SRC or a lot of coho fisheries, it’ll be mostly the open water game
When I’ve wanted to target “deep” to deeep fish with a bug rod, I’ve sent my flies down with a downrigger.

I don’t like trolling for salmon (too many jackasses whose boats don’t have steering wheels, too much like driving, ADHD, etc). What I’ve done is to stop the boat when I’m marking fish or in a good jogging spot, clip the tippet in, send the ball down to whatever depth, pull the line to pop the line out of the clip, and flip the switch to bring the ball up. Now you can jig the fly for a while (especially if using a type 7 or so) and eventually finish with stripping it all the way back to you.

Can be quite effective for coho crashing deeper bait balls, but also chinook. Have “jigged” flies at 100’+ for chinook with success. blue-pink-and-white baitfish seem especially effective for deep chinook.

Last edited: