Puget Sound, SRC, Spawn Fly Fish, Josh Phillips, Todd Moen Video

MarshRat

Steelhead
"We spent a few days in his backyard on the Puget Sound were I actually grew up not too far away. It really is a magical place, but when you get to spend it with a guy like Josh, who grew up and there and knows every inch of the zones, that’s really special. I’m looking forward to taking my kids up next fall. Not sure we will get to see those coho, but sure hope we do. Please take a look a Josh’s new gig at Spawn Fly Fish. They just moved, bought a building and opened a great retail space in Ilwaco, which is located about 2 hours southwest of his home town of Olympia, Washington. You can’t beat his customer service and his knowledge of the salt. Josh has already got an epic selection of fly tying materials as well. Please help support them at Spawn Fly Fish."

Xoxo

@Bruce Baker and @Salmo_g and I met Josh from Spawn Fly Fish a few years ago. At the time he was teaching kids how to tie flies at the time. Such a nice young man!

Nice YouTube!

Last edited:

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I saw that last night and thought it was very well done. Never met Josh but sure love Spawn Fly Fish and hope to meet him some day!

longputt

Steelhead
Two thumbs up for Spawn FlyFish. It's worth a stop into the shop he always has some obsolete inventory on discount and Josh knows his local waters.

This is not why I like their shop but there is a quirk in delivery to my home from Spawn and I get everything in one day! For some reason USPS and UPS skip one of the transfers when it comes from Ilawaco. Go figure.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Every order from Spawn I get a hand written note in the order packaging. Even when it just says "have fun and let us know if you have any questions" I appreciate the personal touch. It says a lot about how good a companies customer service is when every order comes with a hand written note. You're not treated like another profit transaction. You're treated like a customer that matters. Thats rare now days, and it's somethig that sets Spawn apart.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I think Todd shoulda followed @DimeBrite to Gabon...
Good call. He got some amazing photos, would love to see some Moen quality video of that trip. So epic.

Or if he followed you around for a day or two of chasing musky. That'd be a fun watch. How do we get you and Todd in touch for some tiger time?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Good call. He got some amazing photos, would love to see some Moen quality video of that trip. So epic.

Or if he followed you around for a day or two of chasing musky. That'd be a fun watch. How do we get you and Todd in touch for some tiger time?
It would take more than a day or two. 😆. How many angles of big fly casting would it take to make it interesting. Plus, I'm not all that interesting myself unless you like a lot of cursing at the quarry.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
It would take more than a day or two. 😆. How many angles of big fly casting would it take to make it interesting. Plus, I'm not all that interesting myself unless you like a lot of cursing at the quarry.

If he had you for that one 6 fish day?!

Shad

Life of the Party
The sled is what's missing from my program. Perfect South Sound attack vehicle....

Great video, as expected.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
That was very informative - I didn't know anything about Josh's professional soccer career. Peach colored flies for the salt, huh? Thanks for sharing the video. (As usual, Todd Moen does a great job.)

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If this video is inspiring for anyone to want to give it a try I would highly suggest reaching out to Nick Clayton here on the board for a top notch guided experience if that's something you are seeking. Hazards include good times, a crazy amount of action, great scenery, and a generally laid back fishing experience as there is little to no pressure or competition.

Grandpa Jim

Steelhead
Great video!
Last spring I tied up a few peach colored flies to try for my summer/fall beach fishing. Didn't get around to fishing them. Wish I had...

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Great video and Josh/Spawn Fly Fish is amazing.

I actually tied up a few peach flies last week based on one of his videos and did quite well. Granted, my tying skills are a work in progress, but they worked!

QOwxzvjl.jpg