NFR protecting that siding

Non-fishing related

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
So the Steller Jay birds are working over the siding here in Sunriver as they go on their spring bug hunt, in just a single day drilled a handful of thumb sized holes in my neighbors cedar lap siding. For those that have had to deal with the bastards, the best defense is Peppermint oil mixed with water and applied liberally with a simple garden sprayer. Have watched them approach our house and conduct a mid air U-turn as soon as they catch a whiff of it...FYI
1712875909743.png

Last edited:

Divad

Whitefish
So the Steller Jay birds are working over the siding here in Sunriver as they go on their spring bug hunt, in just a single day drilled a handful of thumb sized holes in my neighbors cedar lap siding. For those that have had to deal with the bastards, the best defense is Peppermint oil mixed with water and applied liberally with a simple garden sprayer. Have watched them approach our house and conduct a mid air U-turn as soon as they catch a whiff of it...FYI
View attachment 110323
I’ve used that stuff! Helps keep critters out in the winter of my engine bay and works great camping. When mine ran out I gave this a go since I already have glycerin.

1CAEED34-32EA-4151-BC30-D851F20BDB54.jpeg
Really strong. You can also soak cotton balls and place them in mole holes which works stupid well. Just use gloves or accept peppermint fingers for a day.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
@SurfnFish thank you for this thread.
you're welcome, crazy how much damage I have seen this spring.
Peppermint oil also very effective when applied to the perimeter of the home /decks to keep ants and spiders at bay as well.
The attached pic shows just some of the thumb sized holes that have been pecked out of the neighbors siding in the past week. Notified the remote owners, good family, and they have ordered repairs and spraying. IMG_20240412_124401203 (1).jpga repair and spray.

Reactions: RCF