Product review, critique

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Last year I shopped for a new synthetic filled sleeping bag for the Casa. It had to be long and warm down to around 20 degrees. There are a lot of sleeping bags out there but the one that caught my eye was the REI Frostbreak 5 Degree F bag in size long for about $120. It was to fill the gap between my lightweight polyester bags and my expedition down bag.

It is large enough for up to 78'' in height and roomy inside so it isn't confining. The hood is ample and it has a sewn in ruff in front that can seal the area under the chin. It appears well made and is very comfortable and of course warm.

But it has an embarrassing flaw-the zipper. I knew from the minute I opened the package that the zipper was going to be problematic and so it is. It is too small and not robust enough for hard use. Being aware of it's shortcomings I have been very careful with it but still have got it jammed 3 times already. Any $40 Coleman bag with the plastic 'thumb' designed to prevent jamming works better and appears more durable. Another demerit is the fact that the zipper has a single pull instead of the more useful double pull with one on the inside of the bag and one outside.

The Frostbreak is a very nice bag with a serious flaw. REI should have had Coleman do some engineering work for them.

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
Most REI brand stuff I have bought has been good quality but I have one of their tents that has zipper problems. Same deal as your sleeping bag, if not for the zipper its a great tent. On the other hand, I have an REI sleeping bag I got in 1978 that is still going strong. It was a replacement for an identical one that I had which was three years older that was stolen at the dry cleaner. The top of the bag is down filled and the lower synthetic.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Last year I shopped for a new synthetic filled sleeping bag for the Casa. It had to be long and warm down to around 20 degrees. There are a lot of sleeping bags out there but the one that caught my eye was the REI Frostbreak 5 Degree F bag in size long for about $120. It was to fill the gap between my lightweight polyester bags and my expedition down bag.

It is large enough for up to 78'' in height and roomy inside so it isn't confining. The hood is ample and it has a sewn in ruff in front that can seal the area under the chin. It appears well made and is very comfortable and of course warm.

But it has an embarrassing flaw-the zipper. I knew from the minute I opened the package that the zipper was going to be problematic and so it is. It is too small and not robust enough for hard use. Being aware of it's shortcomings I have been very careful with it but still have got it jammed 3 times already. Any $40 Coleman bag with the plastic 'thumb' designed to prevent jamming works better and appears more durable. Another demerit is the fact that the zipper has a single pull instead of the more useful double pull with one on the inside of the bag and one outside.

The Frostbreak is a very nice bag with a serious flaw. REI should have had Coleman do some engineering work for them.
REI has an excellent product return policy.

Personally, while I have been an REI member for about 40 years and have purchased a shitload of outdoor gear there, I learned long ago to avoid the actual REI branded products....they are most often lower priced for a good reason; lower quality and fewer features. Decades ago REI product was virtually identical to whatever premium quality manufacturer that was actually fabricating it for REI rebranding.

Fortunately REI carries a lot of prominent outdoor brand products, and I tend to wait until the end of season when stuff is significantly reduced, or when I can use an REI coupon or my annual member dividend. I've often acquired Patagonia, Arcterx, North Face products there at less than 1/3 of full retail price. I also use an REI mastercard (which I pay off every month) which gets me a 15% member dividend every year (the standard 10% for being an REI member and another 5% for using the REI mastercard).

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Ive, I have a coat with the same problem and have to use my thumb to keep from jamming.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
But it has an embarrassing flaw-the zipper. I knew from the minute I opened the package that the zipper was going to be problematic and so it is. It is too small and not robust enough for hard use. Being aware of it's shortcomings I have been very careful with it but still have got it jammed 3 times already.
All my early bags had the heavier "vision" zippers and they never jammed. The smaller "coil" zippers are used for their light weight and packability. I still have what was a rather innovative synthetic bag with an internal heat reflective layer that doesn't trap moisture from Early Winters with a coil zipper that constantly jams. I also have a Stephenson vapor barrier down bag featuring a down air mattress that has tiny coil zippers I don't recall had any jamming issues. I think the jamming problem may be caused by a poorly designed draft tube that covers the zipper.

On the other hand, I have an REI sleeping bag I got in 1978 that is still going strong. It was a replacement for an identical one that I had which was three years older that was stolen at the dry cleaner. The top of the bag is down filled and the lower synthetic.
I had that bag and loved it! I damaged it somehow and long ago erased the gory details from my memory. What a great concept... less expensive and compressible plus hydrophobic synthetic bottom, warm down on top. I don't know why that design didn't catch on. A modern version is a down quilt attached to a high R value inflatable mattress, and a separate down hat-hood.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ive, I have a coat with the same problem and have to use my thumb to keep from jamming.
Coleman must have a patent on the red plastic 'thumb'. It is an almost genius idea that every sleeping bag and serious jacket should have.

Krusty, let's compare REI numbers-high number buys lunch!

Back in 1970 I had 2 zip together down mummy bags built 80 inches long. One bag had 2 3/4 pounds of down, the other 2 1/4 pound. They were built by some outfit in Seattle and were just superb. Now after 52 years of service and countless zippings they are still in great condition with never any zipper issues. Zippers can be done right, it isn't something new.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Coleman must have a patent on the red plastic 'thumb'. It is an almost genius idea that every sleeping bag and serious jacket should have.

Krusty, let's compare REI numbers-high number buys lunch!

Back in 1970 I had 2 zip together down mummy bags built 80 inches long. One bag had 2 3/4 pounds of down, the other 2 1/4 pound. They were built by some outfit in Seattle and were just superb. Now after 52 years of service and countless zippings they are still in great condition with never any zipper issues. Zippers can be done right, it isn't something new.
No deal Ive!. You probably climbed with the REI founders Lloyd and Mary Anderson. My number is up in the 1.7 million range. That puts me in the earliest 7% of members, but nowhere near your probable two digit REI number on your cuneiform clay tablet membership card. ;)

Last edited: