Preserving Smoked Salmon Outside the Freezer

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A lot of hot smoked salmon for sale is kept completely refrigerated and unfrozen, and sold as long lasting until you break the seal. I am traveling overseas this week and my dad mentioned wanting to give some smoked salmon to a family friend. I suggested giving ours but we aren't sure how to make sure the fish survives the travel time. How do the commercial canneries keep their smoked salmon good for so long? I have limited fridge space at my apartment, so being able to keep it outside would be helpful for me too

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Interesting topic. I too am curious about fish preservation methods.

Are you talking about smoked salmon sold in bags? The products sold in vacuum type bags are most likely processed at high temps within the bags and the process is not something that the regular home canner can easily replicate. As far as I know the only way for a DIY person to safely process smoked seafood as a shelf stable product is by pressure canning. I might be missing out on a special secret so if anyone has a method they would like to share I’m all ears.

I think I can remember someone from this forum talking about their method for hot smoking/canning salmon a few months back. I tried it this year and my results were ok but not great. Pretty much canned salmon with a smokey taste. IMO pressure canning leaves a lot to be desired in terms of texture depending on what you want to achieve. If it’s good quality smoked salmon that you’re after I would recommend vacuum sealing, freezing and consuming within a year or less. Pack on dry ice for shipping if possible.