Pizza on the Blackstone griddle

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A couple of years ago I bought a gas powered Blackstone griddle to replace the Weber Go Anywhere gas grills I had been using for years in the Casa. The new griddle was easier to store and more versatile than the gas grill, able to do hash browns and eggs, bacon, steaks, burgers, veges, stir fried rice and about anything else you can place on the generous flat surface. I liked it so much that I bought the electric model to use in the kitchen where it routinely does bacon, eggs and hashbrowns breakfast and is perfect to sear steaks that come out of sous vide.

Today I watched a couple of videos of making pizza on the Blackstone and thought-what the hell, it's pizza day, why not? After watching the videos my first impression was that it was pure bullshit but I would try it anyway just to make sure. I gave it every chance to succeed using fresh Aleppo pepper, fresh pizza seasoning, good mozzarella and a hand thrown dough. It went together just like the videos and cooked up just as advertised. So how was it? Well, I wouldn't recommend it, especially if you have a real oven with a pizza steel that can get to 550 degrees. The crust doesn't bear critical scrutiny.

However, if I was camped at Lake Lunker with a buddy or two it would be fun to build one on the tailgate or a picnic table and it probably wouldn't get much criticism, especially with a few beers to obscure any shortcomings.

et64

Smolt
Do you ever make pizzas when you're out with the casa camping? I'm trying to figure out how to pull it off.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Did you cook it on the gas or electric
Electric at 355. There is a fine line between browning and burning the crust and I stayed on the browning side. I see a lot of pizza bakes where the crust is burned black and some pinhead declaring that it is "perfectly charred". Perfectly charred isn't carbon black.

No, I have never made pizzas while camping but now I know it is possible if your expectations are not too high. Some good ale will hide a multitude of sins!

Max Morris

Just Hatched
One of my favorite meals while camping is making fresh pizza. A few years ago my wife bought me a portable pizza oven that uses wood pellets like some of the popular smokers. I usually have a pizza night and can make multiple personal pizzas in very short order, everyone loves pizza night. It is light and folds up nicely, since it heats up really hot I also use it for other meals as well when you need an oven. Here is the link to the newer version, there are other brands and styles but I have found the Ooni to work really well.